New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Interesting story. On the other hand, with regards to this other thread that you started, I would think that additional roads, be they turnpikes or other, would benefit Oklahoma in the transport of bulk materials. After all, I don't think Oklahoma's rail network would be helpful in much of those bulk transports.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/is-it-oklahomas-time-to-shine.355516/#post-4017621
The OTA is under a fine microscope at this time. I think it will be dismantled entirely and some are going to pay big time for corruption. There is a big audit in progress. Another reason I separated from ODOT.
I could be wrong but there is a shake up looming in some form.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of rail lines for transporting grains. There are a good number of rural area grain elevators that no longer have rail service. I used to manage one of those up in the Panhandle and the rail line that used to service it closed down decades and decades ago.

At least some of the turnpikes could allow trucks to avoid the downtown areas of the main interstates, especially so through Oklahoma City.
The RR was here before any of the white men, other than immigrants who came in to build it ( most Chinese). They have more power than Native Americans, I can assure you that.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part of the new turnpike going through Moore is going to greatly affect my Aunt and Uncle and his parents places. Needless to say, they’re not for it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we don't/didn't own any property at these places, we have lived in our RV 100 yards from I-44 on the north side of OKC and now are about 1/2 mile or so from the Highway 9/H.E. Bailey Spur. As for noise, we get a little bit of noise, but if we happen to have the ceiling fan and an oscillating fan running, we don't hear the traffic at all, even when near I-44.

Dang well insulated RV.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The RR was here before any of the white men, other than immigrants who came in to build it ( most Chinese). They have more power than Native Americans, I can assure you that.

The Chinese built the RR's in Oklahoma? I'd never heard that. I knew they were instrumental in building the continental railroad that began on the Pacific side.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The Chinese built the RR's in Oklahoma? I'd never heard that. I knew they were instrumental in building the continental railroad that began on the Pacific side.
No, the first rail line along the I-70 corridor from Chicago to CA was built by many immigrants. A lot of Chinese, Irish and such. That first RR set the stage for further new rail lines and the eminent domain powers that BNSF here in OK have. If you ever get through Kearney NE on I-70, stop at the museum arch over the interstate. Its very interesting and educational about the RR.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wait until they get all of the in progress developments finished up. We need 5 lane roads from MacArthur to Council for several miles north of Memorial to not be stuck in queue at a stop sign for 10min.
1682015320436.png

Be careful what you wish for wawazat :hellno:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woo hoo Rawlins hafway past nowhere.
Mighty fine w i d e o p e n s p a c e s out there.
Yep, lived just North of Rock Springs (Mother was born in Rock Springs) for a couple of years until the oil patch ''boom/bust' cycle went bust in the early '80's. B-I-L retired out of the oil field and moved to Winnemucca, NV and I went to Colorado Springs, CO. Only reason I don't move back to WY is because at my age I wouldn't handle the winter well 🙁

Latest posts

Top Bottom