New turnpike expansion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the OTA has stopped all ACCESS projects pending action by the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

From
https://www.accessoklahoma.com/_files/ugd/7181a5_ba47c2c04f9d4148bb01c93ce4b1eee7.pdf

Interesting story. On the other hand, with regards to this other thread that you started, I would think that additional roads, be they turnpikes or other, would benefit Oklahoma in the transport of bulk materials. After all, I don't think Oklahoma's rail network would be helpful in much of those bulk transports.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/is-it-oklahomas-time-to-shine.355516/#post-4017621

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least one - got a buddy whose dream patch outside the suburbs is about to have an overpass on his head. :(

Well, that's a bad deal, but it could be worse, they could be putting it 100 yds on either side of him, then he'd live next to a turnpike.

If they were building one in my area I'd want it to go right thru my kitchen. I'll take their money and relocate. As much as that would suk, it would suk less than living next to a turnpike.

Honestly, where I am, I wish they would have built this 15 years ago. I'll be dead before it's done, but it would have been nice.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting story. On the other hand, with regards to this other thread that you started, I would think that additional roads, be they turnpikes or other, would benefit Oklahoma in the transport of bulk materials. After all, I don't think Oklahoma's rail network would be helpful in much of those bulk transports.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/is-it-oklahomas-time-to-shine.355516/#post-4017621
The turnpike expansions are (in theory, at least) about improving intrastate transportation, or at least transportation within the state (as some of it is still interstate transportation that will be bypassing congested urban centers). The rail changes Zeihan was discussing are about improving interstate transportation of goods. Trucks aren’t nearly as efficient as rail at moving bulk goods over long distances.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The turnpike expansions are (in theory, at least) about improving intrastate transportation, or at least transportation within the state (as some of it is still interstate transportation that will be bypassing congested urban centers). The rail changes Zeihan was discussing are about improving interstate transportation of goods. Trucks aren’t nearly as efficient as rail at moving bulk goods over long distances.

I was thinking more along the lines of rail lines for transporting grains. There are a good number of rural area grain elevators that no longer have rail service. I used to manage one of those up in the Panhandle and the rail line that used to service it closed down decades and decades ago.

At least some of the turnpikes could allow trucks to avoid the downtown areas of the main interstates, especially so through Oklahoma City.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seeing here that they pay market value. My home value its around 225K going by tax assessor.
Replacement cost is around double that. So you don't rebuild, you just adjust?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trucks aren’t nearly as efficient as rail at moving bulk goods over long distances.
I have zero statistics to back my story up, but I agree with the term efficient when moving freight by rail, but the volume is moved by truckers IMHO.
Just using I-80 as an example, we spent a week in Rawlings Wyoming two years ago on a higher RV site. There were mile long trains coming through with double decked Conex containers on the rail cars every 5-6 hours, but there were thousands of semi's going by on I-80 every hour. More semi's than POV's at times.
Rail more efficient for sure, but those containers have to be loaded, unloaded, and then loaded once again on a truck for delivery to the final destination.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have zero statistics to back my story up, but I agree with the term efficient when moving freight by rail, but the volume is moved by truckers IMHO.
Just using I-80 as an example, we spent a week in Rawlings Wyoming two years ago on a higher RV site. There were mile long trains coming through with double decked Conex containers on the rail cars every 5-6 hours, but there were thousands of semi's going by on I-80 every hour. More semi's than POV's at times.
Rail more efficient for sure, but those containers have to be loaded, unloaded, and then loaded once again on a truck for delivery to the final destination.
Woo hoo Rawlins hafway past nowhere.
Mighty fine w i d e o p e n s p a c e s out there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woo hoo Rawlins hafway past nowhere.
Mighty fine w i d e o p e n s p a c e s out there.
Just South of Rawlings about an hour is some amazing country. Mountain lakes, Moose, Elk, Deer, Bear, and the list goes on.
North is the million trout mile of fishing.
Yeah, it's a small town, but the hunting/fishing around there is incredible.
I have an Oklahoma friend that moved there to work in the prison system that we stopped to visit with on the 4th of July. Had a great time with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom