New weed wacker.. hope it wasn't as mistake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a straight shaft Echo at Home Depot a couple years ago and love it. So much so that I bought an echo backpack blower as well. Both products have lived up to my expectations and were not overpriced IMHO. Both come with a 5 yr residential warranty.

Good luck,

Alan

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 4 cycle troy bilt from lowes......runs like a dream. Had it for 3 years now without an issue.

me too, I'm going on two years with my 4-stroke troy bilt, I have the blower and string trimmer attachments for it and use them back to back and it works great with both, and no mixing oil is great, I am now a dissenter of mixing oil in gas...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Troy Bilt is a name owned by MTD, much like Ryobi, Bolens, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Yard Machines, Yard Man, and more. I bought one at Wal*Mart many years ago, worked fine, occasionally cranky, and no where near what my Stihl is. I put the blade on my Stihl and cut our fountain grasses down in the early spring, rips through them like nothing is there. I can assure you the Troy Bilt I had wouldn't do that, I could bog it down with the edger. I also had a Ryobi 4 stroke, it was a horrible piece of crap. Not to hate on your machines, but they are not in the same league of a Stihl.

You can spend less and get by, but you will buy over and over again, every 5-6 years. I don't expect to ever buy another Stihl.

BTW, for those with fuel line issues, stop using gas with ethanol, it kills the lines.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 69 dollar weedeater brand curved shaft weedeater from Walmart that lasted 7 years.. two months ago the carb failed, I went to smith farm and garden and got the echo straight shaft with a five year warranty. It is a beast, but its heavier runs good.. stihl only had a two year warranty and every commercial mowing trialers I pass are majority echos.

I have a troy built mower and had a troy build generater both are P'sOS.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, got the J-handle mounted and the neck strap attached. Filled it with Castrol full synthetic 10W-30 w/ Titanium molecules [suppose to be Castrol's best oil, I use it in my vehicles] & regular unleaded gas [no ethanol]. It started on the second pull... purred like a kitten in idle without a hand on the throttle... throttled-up it had ample power for cutting through thick Johnson grass 2 ft high. Shut it off and waited a few minutes to restart...about the length of time it would take to re-spool line...it started with one pull. It did seem that the 4 cycle runs hotter than the previous 2 cycle... one reason I'm glad I went with a good synthetic oil. I sure won't miss mixing gas & oil.

Right now, I'm very happy with it. I've got a 4 yr full parts & labor warranty if it needs any repairs. I understood I could still extend the warranty even further if I want too.

My local Stihl dealer wanted $229+ tax for a 2 cycle unit w/ a smaller 27cc motor. Only had a 2 yr warranty. So right now I figure I came out OK. Time will tell.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry dude, but you messed up. you are supposed to ask for advice and then proceed with the purchase after advice is offered. i think im gonna go with stihl or echo. my poulan pro bit the dust a few weeks ago. weeds are getting out of hand. but im not going to settle for crap this time.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been running a Echo for years. No problems. For me at about $210 it was the more economical buy than the cheaper ones i had for years that only lasted 2-3 years and would never start. Oh man, the Echo starts in one to three pulls - always.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a pinch last year after buying my house and feeling the financial pain of doing so, I bought a cheap Troy Built curved-shaft trimmer at Lowes. It's marginal for my yard (3/4 acre) but it gets me by for now. If I can get another season or 2 out of it I'll call it good and go by a Stihl or Echo. I have a Stihl chainsaw and there IS a difference between the box store stuff and the pro-grade equipment.

Who knows, maybe I'll get a better grade trimmer before the end of summer. ;-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom