NFA Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I work with a guy who inherited a bunch of guns when his father passed away. One of these is an NFA firearm that he does not believe has any paperwork (tax stamp) with it. He was wondering if there was a way to get it registered. Since I know virtually nothing about NFA stuff, I figured I'd ask the great minds here on OSA.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No chance, no way. Anything unregistered will remain that way for all time.

However in reality such a weapon should not be destroyed just because of some bozo laws and would be much better off kept out of the spotlight.
Not that I would ever consider such a law breaking act....

Fine.....be sure and demil it first so it's non working of course

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No chance, no way. Anything unregistered will remain that way for all time.

However in reality such a weapon should not be destroyed just because of some bozo laws and would be much better off kept out of the spotlight.
Not that I would ever consider such a law breaking act....

You gotta ask yourself.........is it worth the 10 years in prison and i forgot what the fine was $100,000 or $250,000.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You gotta ask yourself.........is it worth the 10 years in prison and i forgot what the fine was $100,000 or $250,000.

Violations of the National Firearms Act are punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison and forfeiture of all devices or firearms in violation, and the individual's right to own or possess firearms in the future. The Act provides for a penalty of $10,000 for certain violations. A willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax imposed by the Act is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine ($500,000 in the case of a corporation or trust), under the general tax evasion statute. For an individual, the felony fine of $100,000 for tax evasion could be increased to $250,000.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people.

"Of course I would destroy this perfect condition tommy gun I found in my great grandpas closet that's never been registered".

Yes there are laws against it. You should never question authority nor the laws they enact its for you own protection citizen. Now move along Citizen, nothing to see here

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people.

"Of course I would destroy this perfect condition tommy gun I found in my great grandpas closet that's never been registered".

Yes there are laws against it. You should never question authority nor the laws they enact its for you own protection citizen. Now move along Citizen, nothing to see here

It's risk versus reward. I'd hate to destroy a pristine Tommy Gun, but I have assets to protect and a family to worry about. So you save the Tommy Gun. In my case that jeopardizes the other machine guns I own, plus all the "normal" firearms in my collection. Plus I wouldn't do well in jail. Then I have to deal with being a felon for the rest of my life. I have my own land, my own range, other machine guns so one more wouldn't draw attention, and I still wouldn't mess around with a contraband firearm. Call me a coward, whatever. I didn't invest as much as I have into my life to risk it over a firearm.

So if I stumbled upon a firearm I couldn't find the paperwork for, I would: Look harder for the paperwork. Most people who go through the effort of getting an NFA item keep the paperwork in a safe place, because they know the stamp is what proves rightful ownership. If not found, call the NFA branch of the ATF and explain the situation and have them check the serial number. Their records are incomplete, though, so don't count on it being in the registry. If you haven't found the paperwork, and they can't find it in the registry, then you have the option of turning it in or donating it to an approved museum.

You can donate it to a government approved museum, if I recall correctly. That would save it from being destroyed, but is the same result for you as giving it up to be destroyed.

If you consider breaking the law, the best that you can do is bury that bastard so deep that only you know where it's at. Don't shoot it, you'll just draw attention to yourself. And what fun or good is that? Just my .02 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom