NICS denial act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So on re-reading this it appears that an address will be entered on all e-checks before a status is released? And only on delays if using the call center? So the address is sent to NICS on delays, but not to the local LEO? Have they provided any guidance on why they are collecting address info on delays?
The NICS denial act requires NICS to report denials only to local authorities. They ask for addresses before a status (proceed, denied, or delay) is provided to the FFL.

ETA: on re-reading your question, please note that we do phone checks only. We do not do e-checks.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the point of reporting NICS denials to the local authorities? Locals don't enforce federal firearms laws, BATFE is supposed to do that. :(

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so my question about actual information concerning delays wasn't answered. I'm assuming it is an opinion and might be right and might be wrong. That document issued just isn't detailed enough about the process to REALLY know what they are going to do.

But here is my opinion on it based on working with several federal LE/regulatory agencies in my 1st career and a few now in my 2nd career.

First of all, why the new rule was passed. The main two reasons this was done is

1- to just make the acquisition of firearms a bit more of a hassle and expense. The .gov is ALWAYS looking to do this.

2- and this is the important one. In a lot of the mass shootings the shooter had passed a background check or gone through the NICS system and all lot of blame was thrown at the Federal .gov. This is a way to shift some/all of the blame to the locals in the future. However, there has to have been a notification to the locals for the blame to shift.

The actual process isn't going to be on a case by case basis. The notifications will be in batches. So at the end of every day, third day or maybe even week a data file for each jurisdiction will be transmitted to the departments with the denials/delays came from.

Why do I think it will include delays? For the following.

The .gov is always looking to **** with gun owners.

The information will be given to them for both denials AND delays. They ain't going to sort that ****. They will just batch it all.

And for the number 2 above. The MORE names they can throw at the local PDs means a greater chance they will be able to shift blame to them when another mass shooting happens.

That is my opinion with basis. I have no insider information. I hope I'm wrong and it is just denials. But I just don't trust the feds....at all... to ever do the right thing.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For which this does absolutely nothing except deflect blame from the FBI. They'll get to say "But we notified the local police and they didn't do anything!" The truth is that it's not the local LE agency's job to follow up on NICS denials. That is for the FBI and BATFE to do because lying on a NICS 1173 is a FEDERAL crime. Local agencies don't enforce federal laws.

If I were the CLEO of a local agency, that FBI report would automatically dump into a spam folder, never to be seen again. :finger:
How very true.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I cannot explain your delays. NICS doesn't tell me "why" anyone gets delayed. I know people with UPINs who get delayed. I get delayed. Lots of people get delayed. That's just the way it goes....
Since covid started, I get delayed every single time at B.A.N.G. Unless, I'm buying at Bill's sporting goods, then I go through in 5-10 minutes. Odd

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since covid started, I get delayed every single time at B.A.N.G. Unless, I'm buying at Bill's sporting goods, then I go through in 5-10 minutes. Odd
You most likely are picking a time when there was a overload of submissions. My wife was the Liaison Officer between the State Patrol and the FBI NICS employee's. Example: thirty thousand today went smoothly and next day one hundred thousand plus a backup in applications. I personally have a CWP so I get the firearm right away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom