Nightly Chores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pigs have become a menance but I have a handle on it. I recently skinned and quartered 5 hogs and iced down the meat starting about 0400. Later the same day just after midnight I dropped another. I averaged 22 minutes per hog, to hang it, skin it and quarter it and cut out backstraps. Time was also counting pulling out the receiver hitch hoist and putting it away, and loading the carcasses up for disposal. Makes for a long day.
Snapchat-359050494.jpg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice!! You should be set up well on Hams and sausage.
I like to water cure the hams for 13 days in a brine in the fridge then smoke cook them.

I have a #22 Lem big bite meat grinder that makes perfect grind and quick also for sausage.
I can do a deer all cut up and ready to grind in 4 minutes.

I bet you have a dandy grinder if you are harvesting that many.
Congratulations!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH yea pulled pork.
I do like breakfast sausage..I got a mix i created that is like jimmy dean.
I have made bacon a couple times it is very time consuming but well worth it in the end.

I never smoked a backstrap..I have smoked a front shoulder or 3 with bone in and the meat just falls off it . Clean bone in the end.

That kind of turns out like pulled pork.
My last little pig was 100 lb male and his back strap was about the diameter of a paper towel roll.. the empty cardboard in the middle.
man those made tasty little round steaks. 50Cent piece size.
Gotta love those little piggies :)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can do a deer all cut up and ready to grind in 4 minutes.

Hey, Jeff! Are you just not worrying about the silverskin to have it ready to grind that fast? I couldn't come close to 4 minutes ... I feel good having one completely field dressed in 10 - 15 minutes. But, I like to get rid of as much of that silverskin as possible. How do you do it?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wording sucks!!!!

My grinder does not mind the silver skin.
But better wording below.

If my deer meat is all cut up in a bucket back strap size or slightly smaller I can send all of it through my grinder and in less than 4 minutes it will all be ground up.

Yea wish I could debone and have one ready in 4 minutes.
Lee Jun-fan was super quick but I feel even he could not pull that off.
I miss Bruce Lee :)

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bassin....Do you gut also,or just leave guts and quarter? I saw a video a couple years ago where the guy was just taking the shoulders and cutting back straps out and not gutting. He didn't even skin, just cut them off and threw them in a brine. Maybe you could post a video of your process one of these days?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom