NM Muzzy Elk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Correct. I recovered the bullet and it is pictures perfect. 100% weight retention and expanded perfectly. Didn't deform at all outside of the expansion.

The reason I asked was they advertise that they will expand from a very low velocity. I though good because its hard to find a bullet in a muzzleloader that performs good at all ranges. That will stay together at close range will not expand at long distance. And the ones that will expand at long distance will not stay together at short distance. So I got me some the first shot was made at a red hard dry clay bank at 25 yrds dug it out and it didn't expand not even a little bit the hollow point was packed hard full of red clay. So I never shot another one sounds like that just of might of been a fluke with the results that you and dennis are getting so I guess I will give them another try

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even if it didn't expand, it is still a .45 size hole. I love Barnes bullets in my muzzleloader. Only recovered one, the rest pass through leaving a trainwreck behind. The one recovered expanded textbook fashion, (5 or 6 pretty petals) and nearly an inch across.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer24/7, the buck I shot two seasons ago on the waurika draw hunt was with them. It acted perfect as well. I was shooting the 250 grain bullets then. 290's on this hunt. I have the bullet from the elk. I will take a picture of it this evening. I have been impressed with them.

Carleb, if a guy goes elk hunting expecting not to work for it, both to get one down and to get one out, then they are flat out being a fool.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the general area about 18 miles from CC.

That's about where I was . You drove past an observatory a few miles made a right turn went by an rv park & we stayed in a very small hotel . I don't remember the name of the " town " . Sounds like pretty close to same area . That is a great bull you got , again congrats .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. I recovered the bullet and it is pictures perfect. 100% weight retention and expanded perfectly. Didn't deform at all outside of the expansion.

The reason I asked was they advertise that they will expand from a very low velocity. I though good because its hard to find a bullet in a muzzleloader that performs good at all ranges. That will stay together at close range will not expand at long distance. And the ones that will expand at long distance will not stay together at short distance. So I got me some the first shot was made at a red hard dry clay bank at 25 yrds dug it out and it didn't expand not even a little bit the hollow point was packed hard full of red clay. So I never shot another one sounds like that just of might of been a fluke with the results that you and dennis are getting so I guess I will give them another try

Keep in mind that even if it didn't expand, it is still a .45 size hole. I love Barnes bullets in my muzzleloader. Only recovered one, the rest pass through leaving a trainwreck behind. The one recovered expanded textbook fashion, (5 or 6 pretty petals) and nearly an inch across.

I'm a big fan of Barnes Bullets. Recovered three from deer at different distances, under different circumstances. All deer died quickly, so that's a plus.
The first bullet with the biggest Mushroom, was at 110 yards, the one with the middle sized mushroom was 175 yds. The bullet that was deformed was shot at 135 yards, but evidently hit a rib at an angle, or something. I can't account for why that bullet didn't perform. All from the same blister pack.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445568808.125413.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom