No more Ford Manual Transmissions.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly dig my '99 F250SD w/6spd man trans. and 7.3L diesel. As for towing up/down hills, you do just like the semis do shift up, shift down. Works really well. Except in holiday traffic, in LA, on the 'freeway'. First truck was a '60 GMC, three on the tree, too. Too bad there won't be any more.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago I asked a GM engineer about the manuals losing market share and he responded it was due to cost. A manual transmission and all the components are much more expensive to manufacturer than the automatics.
That was directly after GM stopped installing the NV4500 in the Chevy 1500s.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I heard a story on the radio about 3 (I think) teens that tried to carjack a woman's car. It was a standard and they couldn't figure out how to make it go. She stood there laughing at them, then they ran away.

Last edited:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't drive a stick you should not be allowed to get a driver's license.

I would absolutely be behind an effort to make this law. Maybe add a few hours in a semi too so that people know what they are messing with.

That being said, I prefer an automatic. Just lazy I guess. Well that and I drive something with a clutch every single day of my life.

A few weeks ago I heard a story on the radio about 3 (I think) teens that tried to carjack a woman's car. It was a standard and they couldn't figure out how to make it go. She stood there laughing at them, then then ran away.

That is awesome.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not just Ford--nobody puts a man trans in a full-size truck these days. Much as it galls me to say it, there's just not enough uptake to justify the expense on the part of the manufacturers.

The first car I ever bought had a slushbox, but the first car I ever drove and ten of my first twelve vehicles had a man trans--and two of the first four had three-onna-tree (and I still have both of them). Aside from that $200 beater, I didn't own a slushboxed vehicle 'til '01.

BTW, they're not doing away with the stick for the Mustang or the Focus; there's still enough of a market there to justify keeping them (the continuing popularity of clutches in Europe really helps the Focus on that count).

Latest posts

Top Bottom