No more should I get xd or Glock ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My response to anyone who asks me about purchasing a CCW (and I get asked a lot) is that they should first understand the cost and responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon. Besides the psychological issue of having to be willing to know when and how and when not to use it, if a person isn't willing to invest at least $50 in a good carry rig (I've got about $200 in my rig) and isn't willing to invest the time and money to learn how to fire their CCW regularly and adequately, they probably shouldn't start the process yet until they are. Carrying a gun without the proper knowledge, ability, or mindset only makes it more likely to get you or someone else hurt.

If we are a green light still after that initial warning and that this thing is going to cost more than just a one time purchase of a $500 handgun (just 100rnds of 9mm per month will cost almost $250 in ammo per year alone, not to mention range or club membership fees which will likely cost anywhere from $100-$150 per year) - if they are still a go - then I tell them to go to a range, invest $100 and rent 4-5 handguns before they decide on one.

If they have a preference for one type over another due to some movie or TV show, then so be it. Honestly, unless a person is going to get really involved in this hobby, they aren't going to be picky, selective, or knowledgeable enough to really have an idea of the differences of these guns. I personally think the XD, Glock, M&P, P99, CZ, etc etc all suck in their stock factory condition. But a new shooter won't likely appreciate the difference, so it isn't a major concern. If later on they become interested enough, then they'll catch the same disease most of us here have... and they'll end up with a gun collection in their quest for that "perfect" gun. Most gun purchasers don't know or care about pre-travel, post-travel, reset, trigger weight, sights, grip angle, etc etc etc. This is all stuff that us gun nuts think about. The majority of those who own guns don't give this stuff a second thought. To them, an XD, Glock, M&P - whatever - merits or lack thereof - doesn't matter. Let them take 4-5 out to the range, see what they shoot best with - (they'll think its the gun and not them that makes good or bad groups), have them buy what they like the most, and that is that.

If someone doesn't want to rent a bunch of guns and just wants my honest advice, I let them shoot my Glock 19, most like it, and then I suggest they buy one too. Why? Because I can make the trigger bearable to shoot within 30 minutes of dremel usage and some different springs. I can fully support all my friends who buy Glocks. I have all the parts to make one superior to the crappy stock setup. Glocks are the easiest gun to work on and the easiest stock trigger to fix. That's why I recommend them. (Besides having a long history of reliability.)

I personally prefer my 1911 over everything else, but the 1911 isn't the way to go for a new gun carrier IMO, not unless the person is willing to invest some serious money.

Like Para says on Sigforum, "Yes, just buy the Glock." :rotflmao:

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this day and time. I will buy and carry the weapon. That I can find critical parts for. Without having to send it back to the factory. You can debate the xd vr. glock all day long. But if that one out of 7 or 9 parts that Springfield will not sell over the counter goes down. You are out of luck. I carry a weapon that I can fix myself.

Southrange61

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of each; a Glock 26 for concealed carry and an XD45 for "formal" wear. Both are fine handguns and serve me well. The answer to the question is: "Doesn't matter -- whichever one you want."