nOOb Hunting Question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have over the last 4-5 years eased up on the scent killer / attractent stuff but still will use them. Being from out of state I don't have a lot of time to make my own, etc. Also, hunitng in the Cookson Hills area all the hunting we do is on the sides of hills or "benches" and with the think woods the deer are pretty close. Not to mention I will sweet at the drop of a hat so I do as much as is reasonable to keep my own scent to a minimum.

As for the calling, I have a little doe bleat can and a grunt call. I usually don't use them much. Usually only if I haven't seen anything for hours.

Staying on stand, or in our case sitting on a rock leaned up against an oak from dawn til dusk is nearly impossible for me. I sit on two cushions to help and my lower back gets very sore after more than about 5 hours. I have heard many good things about midday hunting though. Maybe this season I'll take an extra can of skoal and try to sit all day. Thanks again for the advice fellas. Much appreciated.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck on the hunt! Hope you tag out and have some great stories to take back to Costa Mesa!

You might want to consider investing in a comfortable, lower stand, knowing that your back will hurt. A cushion on a rock won't give you much support, but maybe there's something like those arena seat things, with the built-in cushion and back support. Or even a back brace might help. Just trying to think of what might work, since I have a bad back myself.

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Parks 788,

It is good to see a fellow Californian who travels back to Oklahoma to hunt every year. I do the same thing for rifle season every year too...and to visit family. I am in San Diego and my fiance is in Irvine. She grew up in Costa Mesa so I am familiar with OC.

I usually wash my camo every year right before I go in a scent killing detergent and then spray it down with scent killer before I put it my suitcase. When I get to OK I hang it up outside and spray it one more time and let it air out. After that I will give it a quick spray before I go into the field. When I am done I keep it hanging outside. Maybe it's overkill but I just don't want to chance it.

For scent attractants I use a doe estrus scent and usually spray it on the bottom of my boots when walking to my stand or blind. Last year I used some scent wicks and hung one in a tree. 15 minutes later I had two smaller bucks come in a check it out.

Target has an air tight plastic storage bin on their website that I am looking into getting this year so I can store my camo in there all year. While I am in OK I will get some cedar branches and some acorns and oak leaves and whatnot to put in there.

For camo, just get something warm and cheap and layer too. Last year during the start of rifle season it was up in the 60's and by the end it was down in the 30's. I never grunt or rattle, but I might try a bleat can this year.

Good luck to you this year.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have over the last 4-5 years eased up on the scent killer / attractent stuff but still will use them. Being from out of state I don't have a lot of time to make my own, etc. Also, hunitng in the Cookson Hills area all the hunting we do is on the sides of hills or "benches" and with the think woods the deer are pretty close. Not to mention I will sweet at the drop of a hat so I do as much as is reasonable to keep my own scent to a minimum.

As for the calling, I have a little doe bleat can and a grunt call. I usually don't use them much. Usually only if I haven't seen anything for hours.

Staying on stand, or in our case sitting on a rock leaned up against an oak from dawn til dusk is nearly impossible for me. I sit on two cushions to help and my lower back gets very sore after more than about 5 hours. I have heard many good things about midday hunting though. Maybe this season I'll take an extra can of skoal and try to sit all day. Thanks again for the advice fellas. Much appreciated.

Thought I would clarify, I am, under no circumstances, berating anyone who uses those items. If they work for you, they work for you. Its just been in my personal experience that I see the same amount of deer at the same range with/without those items during modern firearm season. (While I have pulled off some seriously long range kills, 95% of my kills are within 25-50 yards... makes me wonder why I am still hunting with the shoulder pounding 7mmRM.)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Nice 1st Gen Blazer in your Avatar! (That's what it looks like anyways.:D) Always wanted one.
2. I've hunted that area of the state my entire life. By the 20th most of the chasing is over and the activity is usually at a lull. The rifle season pressure in that area combined with the bucks "holing up" with does (no longer seek and chase phase) makes it slow. Sorry. Though opening weekend of rifle can be good, and the advice Dennis gives about sitting all day is a good idea then too.
Oct. 31st thru Nov. 14th is my favorite time of year for just sheer daylight buck activity.

That's the best advice you can get, and the one I have the most trouble with. The rut is the magic time, you never now what will show up or when it will happen. I've been caught with my proverbial pants down in the middle of the day in all kinds of weather conditions when the rut is on, more times than I care to count.

RidgeHunter, that is my other love, '72 K5 with a lot of goodies. Weekend toy and 3-5 offroad trips a year. It's a lot of fun. Here's another pic of it.

Big%20Blzn%20Axle%20Swap%202.jpg

The best buck i got was in 2008. It was an 11 pt (netted out to 148 grossed about 166) chasing a doe and dropped it from about 15 yards. Was a monster for the Cookson area. I'll post a pic if people want to see. BTW where do we post pics on this site of game we harvested???

Good luck on the hunt! Hope you tag out and have some great stories to take back to Costa Mesa!

You might want to consider investing in a comfortable, lower stand, knowing that your back will hurt. A cushion on a rock won't give you much support, but maybe there's something like those arena seat things, with the built-in cushion and back support. Or even a back brace might help. Just trying to think of what might work, since I have a bad back myself.

We do have several pop up blinds that are up. Use a regular chair inside so should be a little better support for the back. I'll also put more sticks and branches around my sitting spots so I can move around a bit more and stand occasionally to be more comfy.

Hey Parks 788,

It is good to see a fellow Californian who travels back to Oklahoma to hunt every year. I do the same thing for rifle season every year too...and to visit family. I am in San Diego and my fiance is in Irvine. She grew up in Costa Mesa so I am familiar with OC.

I usually wash my camo every year right before I go in a scent killing detergent and then spray it down with scent killer before I put it my suitcase. When I get to OK I hang it up outside and spray it one more time and let it air out. After that I will give it a quick spray before I go into the field. When I am done I keep it hanging outside. Maybe it's overkill but I just don't want to chance it.

For scent attractants I use a doe estrus scent and usually spray it on the bottom of my boots when walking to my stand or blind. Last year I used some scent wicks and hung one in a tree. 15 minutes later I had two smaller bucks come in a check it out.

Target has an air tight plastic storage bin on their website that I am looking into getting this year so I can store my camo in there all year. While I am in OK I will get some cedar branches and some acorns and oak leaves and whatnot to put in there.

For camo, just get something warm and cheap and layer too. Last year during the start of rifle season it was up in the 60's and by the end it was down in the 30's. I never grunt or rattle, but I might try a bleat can this year.

Good luck to you this year.

T-Money; I already have all the camo I need. Usually just wear layered street clothing under camo coveralls. If it's too warm I have camo jeans and shirts with head coverings and gloves. It's all kept in a scent free closet at the inlaws in Tulsa. Do the same as you with scents. hange some deer piss around my blind to maybe draw a deer in or at least try to confuse the deer if he catches my wind and the deer piss he may not bolt right away. The week before I get there my FIL usually takes all my gear and washes it in scent free detergent then stuffs them into scent free trash bags with fist fulls of (native to the local area) plants, etc.

What town are you in when you visit OK and where do you hunt? BTW, CM is not all that big, how old is your wifey and what is her name (maiden) if you don't mind me asking?

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
T-Money; I already have all the camo I need. Usually just wear layered street clothing under camo coveralls. If it's too warm I have camo jeans and shirts with head coverings and gloves. It's all kept in a scent free closet at the inlaws in Tulsa. Do the same as you with scents. hange some deer piss around my blind to maybe draw a deer in or at least try to confuse the deer if he catches my wind and the deer piss he may not bolt right away. The week before I get there my FIL usually takes all my gear and washes it in scent free detergent then stuffs them into scent free trash bags with fist fulls of (native to the local area) plants, etc.

What town are you in when you visit OK and where do you hunt? BTW, CM is not all that big, how old is your wifey and what is her name (maiden) if you don't mind me asking?

Her last name is Arabe and she is in her late 20's. She is Filipino. She still has a bunch of family in Costa Mesa.

I am usually in Haskell county. My buddy has access to 1500 acres that we hunt outside of Stigler. My mom and sister live in Stigler and my dad and his wife live near lake Tenkiller. My family and I lived in Tahlequah for a few years when I was in junior high and highschool.

Sounds like your deer was a good one. You should go ahead and post it here. Here is a picture of mine. It was also taken in the 2008 season. He is a main frame 8 with stickers off the G-2's. He has a 19" inside spread and weighed 152 lbs. dressed. I haven't had him officially scored but the best guesses are somewhere between 145-150.

ai974.photobucket.com_albums_ae221_jasontassey_Deer009_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom