North Korea Launches Attack on South Korean Island, 2 Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm with you in principle that our allies should be more self sufficient, but we can't just leave these countries without adequate defense overnight. I would love for our allies to be able to provide for themselves as far as military goes but they have grown accustomed to our protection. I guess we should have an exit strategy for Japan, SK, Europe, etc. along with Iraq and Afghanistan.

After WWII and the Korean war, those countries were devastated. They needed us. So many decades later, it is not overnight. They should have made sure that they eventually get to the point of self reliance.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After WWII and the Korean war, those countries were devastated. They needed us. So many decades later, it is not overnight. They should have made sure that they eventually get to the point of self reliance.

And that is the inherent problem with any sort of welfare program.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SK and Japan found it convenient to rely on the US. If they didn't have to rely on US they would be perfectly capable of defending themselves.

SK can and does defend itself.

The US has about 30K US Army combat troops/support troops in SK. Not sure about the Air force and how much naval presence we maintain but rest assured just based on sheer numbers of men under arms - we represent but a single pea in a can of 'em.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The US has about 30K US Army combat troops/support troops in SK. Not sure about the Air force and how much naval presence we maintain but rest assured just based on sheer numbers of men under arms - we represent but a single pea in a can of 'em.

And that's about 30K too many...

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not the way I understand it. The US troops are known as the "trip wire". Their sacrifice is supposed to trigger our massive response.
The way I see it is: would I be willing to sacrifice my kids for one more foreign war that does not directly threaten the US? If I don't, should I be willing to see my neighbor's kids dying for one more domino theory, or WMDs, or Iran that might make WMDs or maybe not and so on.
In the mean time our own borders are wide open and if I want to fly I have to be groped or radiated.
I see our priorities a different way, even though I like both the Koreans and the Japanese.

311SCV

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey yall, If I could just throw something out here. Something China has thought of I'm sure is that any military conflict between the two Koreas will send millions of refugees pouring over their border. They also know the US and SK will roll over the north like a steam roller, and they will have an entire country under US "influence" right on their eastern border.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
North Korea warns of more retaliation if the South carries out any "reckless military provocations."

aa57.foxnews.com_static_managed_img_World_604_341_112410_skislandruins.jpg

INCHEON, South Korea – South Korea's president vowed Thursday to boost security around islands near the site of a North Korean artillery attack while the North warned of more retaliation if the South carries out any "reckless military provocations."

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak's comments came during an emergency meeting on security and economic impacts of the exchange of fire Tuesday that left four South Koreans dead - including two civilians - and put the region on edge.

The North's bombardment of a tiny South Korean island along a disputed maritime frontier sparked a brief skirmish and alarmed world leaders including President Barack Obama, who reaffirmed plans for joint maneuvers with Seoul in the Yellow Sea starting Sunday.

"We should not let our guard down in preparation for another possible North Korean provocation," Lee said, according to Yonhap news agency.

The North made no specific mention of the joint military exercises involving the aircraft carrier USS George Washington. But, it warned, its "military will launch second and third strong physical retaliations without hesitation if South Korean warmongers carry out reckless military provocations."

The North's statement said Washington was to blame for South Korean artillery exercises earlier in the week near disputed waters which prompted the North to respond with its artillery barrage on Yeongpyeong island Tuesday.

Washington "should thoroughly control South Korea to ensure they won't continue adventurous military provocations" such as violation of the countries' disputed sea border, it said. The warning was issued by North Korea's military's mission at the truce village of Panmunjom and was carried by the country's official Korean Central News Agency.

South Korea said it will increase diplomatic efforts toward China to secure Beijing's help over North Korea's provocation, according to Yonhap. Repeated calls to the presidential office seeking confirmation went unanswered.

Source - Fox News

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's just wargame this for a minute. Say SK and NK get into an all out war without US help. SK kicks NK ass and is on the brink of victory. Do you think China is going to let their little brother disappear? So say China steps in like they did back during the Korean war (remember NK was defeated before China stepped in). Should we let China destroy SK?

nraman, our allies have not built up their defenses because we have always carried the burden of security for them. Saying they should have provided for their own defenses by now is a moot point because we have been there all along providing a deterrence to conflict. I mean who needs a military if you are an ally with the baddest mfer on the block?

I agree we need a change in policy in regards to this but we don't want to leave our allies up **** creek without a paddle. We need to give them a heads up and let them have time to build up their own defenses.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's just wargame this for a minute. Say SK and NK get into an all out war without US help. SK kicks NK ass and is on the brink of victory. Do you think China is going to let their little brother disappear? So say China steps in like they did back during the Korean war (remember NK was defeated before China stepped in). Should we let China destroy SK?

nraman, our allies have not built up their defenses because we have always carried the burden of security for them. Saying they should have provided for their own defenses by now is a moot point because we have been there all along providing a deterrence to conflict. I mean who needs a military if you are an ally with the baddest mfer on the block?

I agree we need a change in policy in regards to this but we don't want to leave our allies up **** creek without a paddle. We need to give them a heads up and let them have time to build up their own defenses.

Yes. It's none of our business :fullauto:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...our allies have not built up their defenses because we have always carried the burden of security for them.

That is a burden we should not have borne, especially for 56 years.

We need to give them a heads up and let them have time to build up their own defenses.

Do it in accordance with the treaty: 1 year's notice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom