North Korea Launches Attack on South Korean Island, 2 Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have oftentimes said that we should bring ALL of our troops home from every corner of the world and let the chips fall where they may. If some other nation brings something to our doorstep, wipe'm out!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. There is a mutual defense treaty between the Republic of Korea and the United States, much like the treaties between the U.S. and the Phillipines, Australia, and New Zealand. It was signed October 1, 1953, and ratified November 17, 1954.

However, Article III provides no obligation for either country to come to the aid of the other except on the attacked country's soil.

Additionally, Article VI provides for termination with one year's notice.

At this point, it's being the great nanny.

We should elect Fran as President in 2012. I mean, she embodies the spirit of Washington.

Perhaps we should have followed G Washington's advice on foreign entanglements.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have oftentimes said that we should bring ALL of our troops home from every corner of the world and let the chips fall where they may. If some other nation brings something to our doorstep, wipe'm out!

That's exactly the way I see it. Stay out, be merciless to anyone that messes with us. Make it a lesson for everybody.
If our boys have to die, let them die for their homes and families, not for somebody else's right to vote etc.
I would not have a problem with military action to secure our borders.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's exactly the way I see it. Stay out, be merciless to anyone that messes with us. Make it a lesson for everybody.
If our boys have to die, let them die for their homes and families, not for somebody else's right to vote etc.
I would not have a problem with military action to secure our borders.

This.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can change that to not include mutual defense. The S Koreans have larger population than the NKs, an economy that cannot even be compared to the NK and the ability to produce weapons unequaled by the NK.
They can take care of the commies on their own. There is no reason for Americans to die for them. They should be entering in mutual defense treaties with Japan, they have common defense issues.
I took care of my children when they needed me, now they have to fend on their own. At some point we have to let go and let them handle their own problems. Most SKs don't even want us there most of the time. They have violent demonstrations from time to time to get us out. I think we should get a hint.

True that SK is stronger than NK but NK has the big brother of China and that tips the scales against SK by itself. This is why we are the big brother of SK. Also, what great military does Japan have? We are Japan's military and have been since the end of WW2. We have to honor our treaties with other free democracies. If we do not then our friends in the world will continue to shrink. Why would you have someones back when they do not have yours. Sure SK would probably win a war with NK by itself but if we can use our power to deter a bloody war between NK and SK, then shouldn't we?

Also, we know NK has nukes. Does SK have their own or do they rely on US nuclear power to counter balance NKs nuclear power?

I largely agree with you in principle about policing the world but there is more at play here than some country in Africa.

[Broken External Image]

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True that SK is stronger than NK but NK has the big brother of China and that tips the scales against SK by itself. This is why we are the big brother of SK. Also, what great military does Japan have? We are Japan's military and have been since the end of WW2. We have to honor our treaties with other free democracies. If we do not then our friends in the world will continue to shrink. Why would you have someones back when they do not have yours. Sure SK would probably win a war with NK by itself but if we can use our power to deter a bloody war between NK and SK, then shouldn't we?

Also, we know NK has nukes. Does SK have their own or do they rely on US nuclear power to counter balance NKs nuclear power?

I largely agree with you in principle about policing the world but there is more at play here than some country in Africa.

[Broken External Image]

SK and Japan found it convenient to rely on the US. If they didn't have to rely on US they would be perfectly capable of defending themselves. They have the economy and technology to defend themselves if they get serious.
How does it make sense that we go out of our way to send jobs and money to China, to help them become a superpower when their interests have always been contrary to ours?
Right now it should be obvious that we are running a bit short on blood and money and we need to reevaluate our positions, or our security will not improve.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm with you in principle that our allies should be more self sufficient, but we can't just leave these countries without adequate defense overnight. I would love for our allies to be able to provide for themselves as far as military goes but they have grown accustomed to our protection. I guess we should have an exit strategy for Japan, SK, Europe, etc. along with Iraq and Afghanistan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom