Northern tool on line buying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I bought what appears to be a nice generator from Northern Tools thru their internet site. I used the phone ordering system to give the order. I ordered on the 25th of May and was told the unit would be in the OKC store in about 10 days. Well 10 days is long gone and I still do not have a generator on the 11th of June. After a number of call over the last week

I FINALLY get told by a supervisor at Northers call center that orders are "normally" received by the customer with 15 "business" days meaning about 3 weeks after the order is received. Of course if you were willing to pay the approximately $100 fee for home delivery you would have it sooner. The supervisor told me that I was told ( I was not) that the item would take 15 "business" days to be received at the store.

I called the call center to check on the order on the 30th of May and was told by their call center that the unit was on a pallet and would be out the door for OKC the 30th of May and should be in OKC by the 4th of June.

After multiple phone calls to the local store I finally called the Northern call center and stripped me a strip of hide off of a supervisor. After he told me that my conformation e-mail told me 15 "business" days I read the conformation e-mail back to him and then sent him a copy of the blasted thing so he could see for himself that their e-mails say nothing about a delivery delay.

If you want something from Northern Tools make sure you are looking at it and can touch it, otherwise be prepared to wait 15 "business" days to get what ever you ordered. The store claims that if you come in with one of their internet deals, they can match the price and will get much faster delivery than the call center. The local store are nice people and have been helpful.

I'm not sure if I will deal with Northern Tools again unless I am looking right at what I want. I ordered four items off of eBay after I ordered this generator and have received all of them from China for crying out loud.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered a PTO generator from them the first week of March. Got a confirmation email that it was ordered, and that it would be coming from California and that I would get another email when it was shipped. Couple of weeks go by and nothing. Made a couple of calls to them, talked to a couple of people that I couldn't understand. Decided I'd call the store in Wichita and tell them what was going on and see if they can help. Early the next morning, before I could call, I got a call from Beaver Express telling me they tried to deliver to my house, but nobody was around to unload. No kidding, some heads up would be nice, as far as I knew, it was still in CA. Told them to hold it and I would come to Enid and pick it up. They said it would have been there two days earlier, but it went to Elk City instead of Enid. It was what I ordered, and it works great so I just let it go.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with their online ordering other than my debit card throwing all kinds of fits as I tried to pay for a log splitter.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my problem was just an amount warning on my card, it freezes up when I try to spend to much at one time and forces me to tell the bank that I am actually the one doing so. Happens when I buy guns also.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well it finally happened. I received what I ordered from Northern Tool. I picked it up yesterday, brought it home, added oil, gas and started on the second pull. I let it run for about 30 minutes to check it out, shut it down, rolled it into the garage and went and had a cold glass of tea.

Twenty minutes later when I opened the door to the garage the smell of gasoline nearly knocked me down. I had very active stream of gasoline coming out of the carburetor, I shut off the gas valve and the steam finally stops. I called the Champion Power Equipment 's 800 phone number and spoke to a nice young man named Brian D. and told him of my problem. When I told him I got the unit from Northern Tool he checked their website and told me that Northern did not have that model on sale. When I told him I had picked up the unit 4 hours before and read the serial number to him, he told me that the unit had be manufactured in 2009 and must have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for the last 4 years.

He asked me to forward to him the documentation from my purchase and he would same day ship me a new carburetor as the original float and needle had dried out due to the long storage. I checked my e-mail a few hours ago and there was a copy of my shipping order for a new carburetor to be shipped to my home address and everything was marked paid. He even offered to find me a local authorized repair facility, but told me it is a 15 minute job to do it myself if I was willing.

I researched Champion Power Equipment before I bought this unit and all the internet chatter about them was nothing but good. They have an new satisfied customer, but I still think Northern Tools needs to change some things and skin some VPs in a public arena.

When I checked Northern's website the CPE unit that I ordered had disappeared, but when I put in the Northern part number, it popped up with a notice that Northern no longer had these units for sale. I guess that if you want a good bargain go to you nearest Northern store and see if they had any (returned by an angry customer) that the store would sell for a nice low price. The Champion Power Equipment model number is 41111 and Norther's number was10324 and they were selling them for $399 last month. I will soon be ready for the next round of power outages- But Lord I am tired of dodging tornadoes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom