Now that it will soon be legal, who will actually carry openly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And why?

I'm really trying to understand the reasoning behind carrying openly,,,
And I truly do not want to ridicule anyone who has a differing opinion than mine.

Personally I am ecstatic about the new open carry provision,,,
Not that I would ever want to carry my handgun openly.

To me the best thing about this new provision is,,,
I can no longer be cited for an accidental showing of my handgun.

The DA in the county I live in has stated he is against citizen carry,,,
It's his personal method of implementing some form of back-door gun control,,,
So in that vein he has instructed the county sheriff to cite "brandishing" whenever possible.

I witnessed a Payne County deputy cite a woman who had a gun in her purse,,,
The cashier at the Mini-Mart saw her gun when she opened her purse to get her credit card,,,
He commented on it and the deputy sheriff standing 10-12 feet away from her detained her and wrote her a citation.

He never even saw the handgun until he asked her to open her purse for him,,,
She initially didn't want to open her purse but the deputy threatened her with an "Obstruction of Justice" charge.

I stayed around and told her that if she wanted to fight this,,,
I would be her eyewitness that she never "brandished" her gun in any way.

She never called me so I do not know what the eventual outcome was.

I am extremely happy to know that after 01 November I can not be ~legally harassed~,,,
For printing or an accidental exposure of my concealed weapon.

My position is this,,,
I will probably never carry openly,,,
I feel it is provocative and actively invites conflict,,,
Not to mention that it puts a valuable object in a thief's eyesight.

What I anticipate is a lot of contact between people who are carrying openly,,,
And law enforcement who want to check if they have an Oklahoma CWL.

Some DA or LE agency is going to argue that the firearm in itself is "probable cause" to do a CWL check.

It will be interesting to see how the (inevitable?) stops will come about.

Anyways,,,
That's just my personal viewpoint.

What are yours?

Aarond

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how it is provocative, but I'll do it simply because it's easier. I work outside and Its too damn hot to wear a cover garment. Also I wear a nail bag all day and with IWB it causes my gun to dig into my side, not comfy.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Rebelracer79, I tend to agree, generally with what Aarondhgraham said. I do agree that carrying openly, at least for the short while just after November 1, could be provocative...or will in other words cause possible negative attention to the carrier. You may not even no about the negative attention as it may come in the form of pushing folks into the gun control way of thinking because they can now see what was hidden before. They may not say one word to you. They don't have too. But these people vote and they can influence media and polliticians. In the other thread about OC I mentioned the potential danger that OC could have on our general rights, over the long haul, of all of us second ammendment rights enthusiats. Early in that thread, some folks mentioned they would not OC, at least around their wives, because their wife does not approve. Wives are often mothers. Mothers will do anything they can to protect their children...ANYTHING! There's a chance more Oklahoma women, a.k.a. mothers of children, than men are "on the fence" with respect to gun control. If you happen to be at Target shopping and carrying OC you just may annoy a mother that thinks your are in some way threatening her children. If she's on the fence about gun control she can easily jump completely into the Brady Bill camp and become a gun hater.
I doubt that I'll every carry openly in public. On my own property, yes I will. I've trained enough that I can get my CC carried pistol into action just as fast as my OC pistol. So, for me there's really not a reason to OC.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Really looking forward to being able to use my Tactical Thigh holster with out a cover garment. LOL Will I open carry sure sometimes but not on a day to day basis.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to occasionally. I don't think it's provacative. Honestly, if you are dressed nice, have a decent haircut, I don't think most will even look twice. Some of the local Tulsa news stories the last couple of days (media milking all they can out of it) have been fairly positive as far as the people they've interviewed. Kind of surprised me.

Now if I can just talk Mike Brown into teaching some weapons retention courses for open carry specifically...

Also, if we shot in IDPA before and want to compete with open carry, do we just shoot IPSC now? Seem like IDPA would create some open carry classes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom