Now THIS is a Test Target

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of things that I 'expect' - but how often do those things deliver? Stop for a second and think about 5 bullets going through the SAME hole at 45 FEET.

Maybe I'm just too easily impressed.

Not only am I impressed with the results of the gun but the guy test firing it should be on "Top Shots"! That is a sweet gun you've got there and those grips are cool!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of things that I 'expect' - but how often do those things deliver? Stop for a second and think about 5 bullets going through the SAME hole at 45 FEET.

They probably don't deliver that readily; but with the combination of a finely-crafted 1911 and a benchrest, the scientist in me expects that sort of outcome. Don't get me wrong - that's a very nice outcome, with all the bullets going through one ragged hole. It's just that given the circumstances, I'd expect it, since shooting from a benchrest - with hand-loaded ammo, too - enhances accuracy a good deal and minimizes the shooter as a detractor. It then becomes a test of "How accurate is the 1911 fired from a fixed platform with better-than-factory ammo?" I'd say most 1911's of any make or model would show improved accuracy under the same circumstances. Now if that 1911 had been test-fired from an offhand stance with WWB, then I would have been even more impressed by that combination of precision and accuracy :D

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's see... a custom-built 1911 that costs several grand, a bench rest shooting platform, and what appears to be hand-loaded ammo? Yep, I'd expect results like that. Though the windage needs to be adjusted a skotch ;)

Wow...your a tough one to please. I have seen more expensive guns perform far worse than this, Give the guys a Wilson some credit. Dang

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When you order one from Wilson Combat you can expect it every time. Both my wife's and mine came the same way.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They probably don't deliver that readily; but with the combination of a finely-crafted 1911 and a benchrest, the scientist in me expects that sort of outcome. Don't get me wrong - that's a very nice outcome, with all the bullets going through one ragged hole. It's just that given the circumstances, I'd expect it, since shooting from a benchrest - with hand-loaded ammo, too - enhances accuracy a good deal and minimizes the shooter as a detractor. It then becomes a test of "How accurate is the 1911 fired from a fixed platform with better-than-factory ammo?" I'd say most 1911's of any make or model would show improved accuracy under the same circumstances. Now if that 1911 had been test-fired from an offhand stance with WWB, then I would have been even more impressed by that combination of precision and accuracy :D

Here is a target that my wife shot at 10 yards. It is 5 rounds of WWB. She does use a Crimson Trace due to eye problems. The coin in the picture is a dime. [Broken External Image]
Granted she doe not do this every time.:doh:

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree 100%...

Also, the idea of having a pistol with known accuracy is invaluable in improving your skill level. Whether you get a 1/4" group at 15 yards or a 2"-6" group may well depend on the quality of the barrel and of the ammo that you are using. If you are doing Bullseye shooting every factor is critical, and if you are Tactical shooting every factor is critical, eventhough it may be for different reasons. The whole idea of getting a semiproduction or custom pistol is to acquire a tool that will be reliable and put the bullet where you want it to go everytime if you do "your part!" Consequently, if you are serious about improving your skills you only have to concentrate on what you are doing and improve "your part" which eliminates 50% of the variables from the "gitgo". The Crimson Trace target is a perfect example of narrowing down and eliminating variables for your situation. Obviously the pistol there is capable of holding that group as long as the shooter does her part. It is a perfect union of tool and shooter coming together for their purpose at that time whether Bullseye or Tactical :):):).

Be well-Barry

PS: BTW...enjoy your Wilson, all that I have seen are fine pieces of workmanship.
BJG

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Here is a little insight into the test fire method.... and this guy is a shooter. Rest assure, if you've bought a Wilson in the last couple years, this is the guy shot your test target.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=36

Now, I do think it's worth saying that the do shoot several targets, and you get the best one. :)

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a little insight into the test fire method.... and this guy is a shooter. Rest assure, if you've bought a Wilson in the last couple years, this is the guy shot your test target.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=36

Now, I do think it's worth saying that the do shoot several targets, and you get the best one. :)

Thanks for the link - that was an interesting read...

Latest posts

Top Bottom