NRA Member/Supporter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't support the Second Amendment in practice. Their "massive political pull" has been a net negative.

Back it up those general statements with some facts.

I can't possibly even imagine how you believe that the NRA doesn't support the Second Amendment.

I also triple dog dare you to come up with even a handful of 'net negative' items when compared against over a century of positive influence in EVERY aspect of gun ownership and use there possibly is.

One could argue that WITHOUT the NRA, we wouldn't even have gun clubs, ranges and competitions that encourage and support gun ownership, firearms education, etc... They were after all the ones who started it all and kept it going even in the face of opposition.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back it up those general statements with some facts.

I can't possibly even imagine how you believe that the NRA doesn't support the Second Amendment.

I also triple dog dare you to come up with even a handful of 'net negative' items when compared against over a century of positive influence in EVERY aspect of gun ownership and use there possibly is.

One could argue that WITHOUT the NRA, we wouldn't even have gun clubs, ranges and competitions that encourage and support gun ownership, firearms education, etc... They were after all the ones who started it all and kept it going even in the face of opposition.

The NRA drafted and supported the Uniform Firearms Act in the '20's which was adopted by a few states and the District of Columbia.

The NRA drafted and wholly supported the National Firearms Act of 1934.

The NRA supported the Gun Control Act of 1968.

The NRA supported the Firearm Owners' Protection Act with the "machine gun" ban intact. (This is post the alleged 1977 coup of the NRA board.)

The NRA supported pursuing only severely limited Due Process incorporation in Heller in McDonald, when the precedents for Privileges or Immunities are clearly flawed (and merit revisiting, according to the SCOTUS). Why? P-or-I incorporation would nearly put the NRA and every other "pro-2A advocate" in the legal business out of business, while Due Process incorporation ensures a steady revenue stream for at least another century. To me, that was the final bolt in the door between me and the NRA. The NRA cares more about ensuring a profitable revenue stream than it does for the natural right for which it claims to advocate protection.

And then there's the support for forcing states to recognize other states' concealed weapons permits - a position of "screw the rest of the Constitution, we just want our piece of the pie".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VM's points are not without merit. Just as many other political organizations (DNC and GOP come to mind), the NRA has become more about the NRA than the alleged core mission. If they were seriously committed to protecting the 2nd Amendment, they'd mind those pesky little details. :(

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been a Life Member since 1993 and it only took one call to have them remove me from the 'SPAM' list. I get my magazine every month and vote for the Board Members every year. No, I do not agree with all of their actions but at least they are getting 'some' positive things accomplished ....... JMO

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call customer service, and tell a PERSON, that you want off the mailing list.
I get nothing from them now, other than a membership renewal and magazine.
This certainly didn't work for me. I was trying to get it stopped from being sent to my FIL who felt he had to send them money to the point of not being able to pay his bills..He was an old WWII Vet that had had several strokes but was still trying to do his part as they would say. His daughter and I felt he was taken advantage of and I personally want nothing to do with the NRA..btw..I was a member myself for years until this happened so throw your stones at someone else..

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NRA drafted and supported the Uniform Firearms Act in the '20's which was adopted by a few states and the District of Columbia.

The NRA drafted and wholly supported the National Firearms Act of 1934.

The NRA supported the Gun Control Act of 1968.

The NRA supported the Firearm Owners' Protection Act with the "machine gun" ban intact. (This is post the alleged 1977 coup of the NRA board.)

The NRA supported pursuing only severely limited Due Process incorporation in Heller in McDonald, when the precedents for Privileges or Immunities are clearly flawed (and merit revisiting, according to the SCOTUS). Why? P-or-I incorporation would nearly put the NRA and every other "pro-2A advocate" in the legal business out of business, while Due Process incorporation ensures a steady revenue stream for at least another century. To me, that was the final bolt in the door between me and the NRA. The NRA cares more about ensuring a profitable revenue stream than it does for the natural right for which it claims to advocate protection.

And then there's the support for forcing states to recognize other states' concealed weapons permits - a position of "screw the rest of the Constitution, we just want our piece of the pie".

These!

They don't support the 2a, they support old white people's right to have a musket.

The NRA is useless and the "torch" needs to be passed to a real pro-2a group.

Latest posts

Top Bottom