NRA/ORA stand on open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind the NRA staying out of this fight...it's the National Rifle Association. This was a state issue with very little in the way of broad implication on the overall interpretation/application of the 2nd. All it did was allow those already licensed to carry do so in a different manner. It didn't expand the right to carry to those previously restricted or chip away at government gun control.

I'd rather the NRA and GOA save their powder for the big federal fights that will be coming soon.

ORA on the other hand has pretty much cemeted themselves in my mind as a useless, show piece club. This is exactly the kind of fight a State gun owners association should have tackled or at least showed up for.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent the prez of the ORA an e-mail...will let you know his response....or in the case of HB3354, lack thereof....

Question,

The motto of the ORA is “To champion and support the rights of law abiding citizens”

Where the hell were you on HB3354 Open Carry??

Not even a mention on your website? No rallying of support or querying of members?

Thanks for hoodwinking all the members of your organization. I’m doing my best to inform your members that you chose neutrality (just like the NRA) and like a coward, did not fight for the rights they have entrusted you to do.

People are “waking up” up to your shenanigans.

I look forward to your explanation.
Signed, DirtyDawg

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind the NRA staying out of this fight...it's the National Rifle Association. This was a state issue with very little in the way of broad implication on the overall interpretation/application of the 2nd. All it did was allow those already licensed to carry do so in a different manner. It didn't expand the right to carry to those previously restricted or chip away at government gun control.

I'd rather the NRA and GOA save their powder for the big federal fights that will be coming soon.

ORA on the other hand has pretty much cemeted themselves in my mind as a useless, show piece club. This is exactly the kind of fight a State gun owners association should have tackled or at least showed up for.

I understand where you're coming from, but being that the NRA is consistently involved in the affairs of other states regarding 2nd amendment rights, is it not reasonable for them to be involved in ours...fighting from the ground up?

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Isn't that ok2A the same organization that held the supposed rally for gun rights at a school venue that was a gun free zone? I think it was at a tulsa technology auditorium?We have some really sharp knives in our oklahoma drawers.:loser:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, but being that the NRA is consistently involved in the affairs of other states regarding 2nd amendment rights, is it not reasonable for them to be involved in ours...fighting from the ground up?

They are involved in other states, but mostly in cases that will result in a significant change in 2nd Amendment application. Cases that set precedence that can be used to expand the right and knock down barriers.

If this bill had been about authorizing open carry without a permit I would expect them here. But a bill that only decided whether or not a license holder has to pull a tshirt over his gun or not is not a major issue in terms of the 2nd, IMHO, at least not when there are other states that already have unlicensed open and concealed carry.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Darren DeLong is the Oklahoma field rep. for the NRA foundation. That is a 501c3 non-profit that funds all the youth shooting sports, and safety programs through 100% donations.
To protect their "non-profit" status, the NRA foundation is prohibited from taking any political positions.

The NRA-ILA is the lobbying arm that exist to twist the politician's arms.
they are also the ones that send all that junk mail.
Here are the names in OK we need to be pinging.

Michael Phillips
Tulsa, OK
918-747-5934

Ivan Rogers
Stillwater, OK
405-714-8805

Justin Summers
Norman, OK
405-210-3618

Heather Fitzgerald
Oklahoma City, OK
405-620-0590

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are involved in other states, but mostly in cases that will result in a significant change in 2nd Amendment application. Cases that set precedence that can be used to expand the right and knock down barriers.

If this bill had been about authorizing open carry without a permit I would expect them here. But a bill that only decided whether or not a license holder has to pull a tshirt over his gun or not is not a major issue in terms of the 2nd, IMHO, at least not when there are other states that already have unlicensed open and concealed carry.

To be here lobbying, sure. But what would it have taken for them to officially support the bill? Nothing at all. They just didn't want to. That's the issue I have with them. They pick and choose what parts of the 2nd Amendment they want to support. The NRA is very annoying that way. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom