NRA Says It Was A Mistake To Call Texas Open Carry Gun Protesters ‘Weird’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd take my dirtiest truck and head for Texas ASAP if they did that. Then, I'd go run through the nearest mudhole and do it all again.

They would give you the girls with the AKs, wouldn't want the ARs getting too dirty...

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pity. I thought NRA pegged it exactly right with their initial public statement -- that they're now walking back.

The claim isn't that the open carry of combative long guns in populated areas is never appropriate. But it is weird, and generally socially inappropriate, when in a functioning civil society. Handguns are the normal self-defense arm carried within civil society.

Carrying a slung long gun on the street is for when you're patrolling your neighborhood after a Katrina-style social breakdown.

Ironically, OCT's frivolous, drama-whoring use of rifle open carry rights in normal times risks leading to a legal backlash that could come back to bite gun owners in case of a Katrina-like event, when toting a slung rifle in certain places could, as I said, be a very relevant and valuable form of bearing arms, for a time, in order to deter trouble.

TLDR: Yes, open carry of long guns in public should be legal, because it could be quite valuable in uncommon situations. But OCT's practice of routine long gun open carry at freaking Chipotle or whatever is still weird and socially inappropriate.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pity. I thought NRA pegged it exactly right with their initial public statement -- that they're now walking back.

The claim isn't that the open carry of combative long guns in populated areas is never appropriate. But it is weird, and generally socially inappropriate, when in a functioning civil society. Handguns are the normal self-defense arm carried within civil society.

Carrying a slung long gun on the street is for when you're patrolling your neighborhood after a Katrina-style social breakdown.

Ironically, OCT's frivolous, drama-whoring use of rifle open carry rights in normal times risks leading to a legal backlash that could come back to bite gun owners in case of a Katrina-like event, when toting a slung rifle in certain places could, as I said, be a very relevant and valuable form of bearing arms, for a time, in order to deter trouble.

TLDR: Yes, open carry of long guns in public should be legal, because it could be quite valuable in uncommon situations. But OCT's practice of routine long gun open carry at freaking Chipotle or whatever is still weird and socially inappropriate.

Agreed. They are going about it in the wrong way. A bunch of dudes carrying AR's around town at low ready isn't going to make things better for them

Blaine007

Marksman
Reaction score
I see where folks are torn over the issue, but what measure of common sense would you use to say open carry of long guns in a town/city/public establishment is warranted. The tactical edge is discreetness. I can see the criminal element just licking their chops to blend in with the OCT crowd. Who's gonna know, until it's too late? There are a lot of controversial issues that were apparently not thought out much when these long-gun toters appeared. I gotta say that they may have hurt the cause by taking things too far. But Even as I stand by my opinion, technically speaking, how do you draw the line as to what is acceptable if no specific guidance was provided during legislation of the open carry laws?

Blaine007

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, you hit it on the head. Common sense... It hasn't been used much. That's kinda what I was getting at, if I'm reading your question correctly. There are places where constitutional carry of long guns is appropriate. In my opinion though, just not in the middle of town during everyday peaceful times. A simple sidearm of modest size (something that can be carried on the hip in a holster) is the best compromise. And obviously, firearms and alcohol do not mix, again, a little common sense. I believe there needs to be a way to regulate the carry of weapons just to make sure a person is not a criminal or mentally unstable. Beyond that, the government needs to be hands off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom