OC Arrest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really. If the Election Board, operating as a branch of government, has custody and control of the space where they are conducting official government business then it is within there perview to impose such restrictions as they see fit according to applicable state law.

You may very well be right, but I can find no state law or case law that would make this case.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bottom line is, he should have went to his car and left his firearm in it. Came back voted and appologized instead of "feeling" it was his right to carry in whatever type of building he was in. The only thing he did was make the "oc crowd" look bad. And he could be right about carrying in the building he was in but I bet it doesn't make the news that he was if that's the case.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the surface he sounds like an idiot. The only mentoring he needs is criminal charges and the loss of his permit...if the place was indeed off limits by statute OR private property that restricted carry.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The bottom line is, he should have went to his car and left his firearm in it. Came back voted and appologized instead of "feeling" it was his right to carry in whatever type of building he was in. The only thing he did was make the "oc crowd" look bad. And he could be right about carrying in the building he was in but I bet it doesn't make the news that he was if that's the case.

Wouldn't even have to apologize, just comply. No Jail, no $4k bail.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Those blue-haired old ladies are appointed precinct officials. They are paid by the Board of Elections. They are conducting business with the public.

I left my gun in the truck. Can't afford to be a test case.

And deliberately showing a gun, even a holstered gun, could be considered brandishing.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Polling places are off limits according to para 1 and 2 of this title:
TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places
UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;

Plus, he was asked to leave and came back. That would be trespassing as possible additional charge and since he came back and showed it to the election official could even be considered "flashing, displaying, or brandishing." In any case, it is just an ignorant "in your face" display that makes all SDA oc or concealed, and all gun owners look stupid.

Sisson is getting a harsh leason in life... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the charges are eventually dropped.
The building was a privately owned facility. Not 'leased or owned' by any government agency or school.

It was not a meeting of any governmental officials. This case will have about as many legal holes in it as the argument about carrying a handgun secured in a 'belt or holster' or police being allowed to stop people and ask for their license without any other reason! If polling places in a privately owned facility being manned by volunteers isn't specifically listed in the law.. then it most likely won't be a violation to carry inside the facility unless the owner or management post it off limits with signs...just like any other private facility or business has to do.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Private property does not have to be posted with signs. He was asked to leave, that is all the notification required....

Latest posts

Top Bottom