• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Off chance. Stihl 261?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I wouldn't be afraid of an Echo saw. The luck I've had with my Echo trimmer is nothing short of astounding. Part of that is using Amsoil Sabre two stroke oil, but still....Over 10 years with ZERO maintenance? Yes, you read that right, it did that and still runs like a top. No telling how many hours are on the thing as I use it for edging and trimming both.

I kid you not I don't run the tank dry, or even top it off for winter storage. It just sets in the shed dirty until spring. And fires right up. Last spring the primer bulb finally gave up the ghost so I did a full tune up. Air filter, fuel filter and plug. I pulled the spark arrester screen too and it didn't even need cleaned. Bought from Home Depot. Color me impressed with Echo's two stroke stuff.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I wouldn't be afraid of an Echo saw. The luck I've had with my Echo trimmer is nothing short of astounding. Part of that is using Amsoil Sabre two stroke oil, but still....Over 10 years with ZERO maintenance? Yes, you read that right, it did that and still runs like a top. No telling how many hours are on the thing as I use it for edging and trimming both.

I kid you not I don't run the tank dry, or even top it off for winter storage. It just sets in the shed dirty until spring. And fires right up. Last spring the primer bulb finally gave up the ghost so I did a full tune up. Air filter, fuel filter and plug. I pulled the spark arrester screen too and it didn't even need cleaned. Bought from Home Depot. Color me impressed with Echo's two stroke stuff.
I'm withyou on the Sabre oil, I don't run tanks dry or completely fill either. 2 or 3 pulls even after sitting all winter and they start right up and run fine. But NO alcohol gas, corn squeezins are for drinking not for fuel!

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I'll be the crazy person here, but I got a cheap ole Black Max 18" at Wally World a few years ago. I needed to tune the carb but afterwards I've cut through at least 4 downed trees in last years wind storm. (Would have been 5 that week but I took care of all the houses near me except for the neighbor I hate.) It's got a fair workout doing property maintenance over the last couple years as well. Starts and runs without issues.

As a bonus, the chains for it are quite regularly on clearance so it's easy to stock up. I think I have like six 2-packs in the garage that I paid 3 bucks each for. In the course of the wind storm I went through two. Would have only been one but I bumped concrete on the bottom of a cut.

All I'm saying is, if you're not needing a fancy one, and can take the 10 minutes to tune the carb, then it's a great low cost option.

Mcpatty2011

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a 261 I bought a a couple years ago and it’s awesome. Definitely worth the price difference from the home owner grade stuff. I haven’t gotten to use it much but every time I do it definitely brings a smile 😂

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeap ended up after my own research as well ordered a 590 echo. I think overall the 261 is likely better, but just for my use level overkill and more money than I want in a single tool.

For about the same price difference I also ordered a srm 225 trimmer as my corded sucks to haul 300ft of cord with it. Was going to gamble on the harbor freight battery model since I already have the batteries.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
For about the same price difference I also ordered a srm 225 trimmer...
That's exactly the one I have that has been so good. I remembered since posting I did do some maintenance on it. I squirted some grease in the gear head a couple of times. That's it. Nothing at all on the engine. Now watch it explode on me, but if it does guess what I'm going to go buy?

Long Barrel 44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Same here! I have an echo trimmer and small chainsaw. The trimmer is going on 13 years and the chainsaw 10. Both start right up and run like champs!

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Of course that's almost the issue with having them so long. sure they were great. But after years of globalist corner cost cutting will they still last as good.

Excited to have the new toys though

Latest posts

Top Bottom