Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a ton of bucks today and passed on all of them. Shot a doe this morning. Strange deal. Shot her at a tad over 100 yds, and dropped her in her tracks. Just a couple of minutes later, a buck comes from behind me following her trail to the body. He started trying to get her up. Went on for a bit, and another buck came in and tried. In the next few minutes, two more bucks came in and were rolling her around the food plot like a soccer ball. Craziest thing I've seen in a while. She must have been one really hot doe.

After about an hour, they wandered off, so I kept looking for another big buck to come in, but none did. Field dressed her at the food plot and left the gut pile there.
Went back that afternoon thinking there might be a coyote come in to the pile, but the only think that did was one of the previous bucks and some does. They didn't seem at all concerned about the gut pile. They all looked at it from a few feet away, but that was it.

.243WSSM, 100 grain. Last pic shows three bucks on her with the fourth coming in on the right.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on some great bucks guys! Cool buck tcox and way to get that double Swrodd! Great pics too, Hoddy that's crazy! I've never heard anything like that! Goes to show that bucks really do get stupid during the rut!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats! Are you going to lay your doe decoy on her side from now on? :)

I have no choice. I left the decoy standing last night. I found it in three pieces this morning. Couldn't get one leg back in right in the dark, so left it until the afternoon break. Found whoever mauled it, broke off the nubbie that keeps it in the decoy body. Did a little patch on it to get it standing again. The 130 class 10 point I passed on got downwind of it about 30' away and just looked at it. If I had put some doe urine on it, he might have approached it.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot a small doe just before dark but it ran off and into some thick stuff. Looked around for about an hour but couldn't find her. Temperature was about 48° at dark and should be down to 34° overnight. If I find her tomorrow morning will the meat still be good? I've never lost one before or had to leave it overnight

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw 26 deer from 7 to just after 9 opening morning, including at least four different bucks, but nothing worth shooting. Never even picked up the rifle, but gave the binos a work-out. My neck hurt last night from all the twisting and turning! After 9 Saturday morning, it just died. Only saw four more deer the rest of the day Saturday, and saw a total of three all day today! The rut is still in full swing in Major County. Don't know for certain how many I saw chasing yesterday. The first two I saw this morning was a buck chasing a doe, and the third was another little buck following up the trail those two took.

Latest posts

Top Bottom