Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cruise ships are a dying fad. Once the baby boomers are all gone so are they.

I've been on 4 cruises. Yes, the demographic is typically seniors, but I'm saying at least 1/3 at minimum are millennials or gen X'rs with young children in tow.
A lot of the cruise lines are offering theme cruises to attract the younger crowds and are typically sold out way in advance.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did an Alaskan cruise and land tour in 2005. It wasn't all seniors on that one. Personally, I wouldn't want to do a cruise where one is at sea for days. The Alaskan cruises seem to all go up the Inside Passage, so there is a lot to see, generally on both sides of the ship. There is also all kinds of other marine craft that draws one's attention.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on 4 cruises. Yes, the demographic is typically seniors, but I'm saying at least 1/3 at minimum are millennials or gen X'rs with young children in tow.
A lot of the cruise lines are offering theme cruises to attract the younger crowds and are typically sold out way in advance.
Maybe they are changing to attract younger folks but there are not near as many of them as retired folks with money. IDK maybe I'm wrong but this virus will end em for good I think.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they are changing to attract younger folks but there are not near as many of them as retired folks with money. IDK maybe I'm wrong but this virus will end em for good I think.
I don't know if it's going to be for good, as the seniors that still have money will keep them afloat.
What will happen is that cruise prices will likely go really cheap with tons of incentives for those that can still go. The companies have to remain alive until such time business can pick up and all rooms be sold way in advance like it was in the past.
Cruises will be dirt cheap is what I'm predicting like resorts in the Caribbean after Hurricanes pass through. We did two of those resort vacations in Cozumel and Cancun including airfare after hurricanes passed nearby cheaper than a weekend at a stateside resort.
You just have to be prepared for minor inconveniences like a ship washed up onshore at the beach and repairs going on around you.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're giving some of those ships an opportunity to be reflagged as American to give them access to government largesse because why not?

Why shouldn't we do that in these turbulent times?

if-you-cant-handle-me-at-my-diddliest-you-dont-3495093.png

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 38 yr old niece and her daughter took a Caribbean cruise last year and loved it.

The daughter lives to play girl's fast pitch softball and I guess they're pretty good.
They won a tournament with the cruise as first prize.
I don't know if she would go again this year or not. It wouldn't surprise me if she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom