Cost to run a generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, the hood is going to be without power indefinitely.

1687178171854.png

I was trying to figure out how much it's going to cost running my 20KW Kohler natural gas generator 24/7 by day.

The usage is from the internet. The cost is from my ONG bill at the locked in rate of 8.612 per Dth. Does this look right?

1687178411152.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably as it isn't cheap or efficient to convert one source of fuel to another.

My son lost power in Moore after the last tornado.
I loaned him my 2000 watt continuous Inverter and a battery and some jumper cables.

Ran 1 plug in off of it to keep his fish tank and fridge going and his gas central furnace blower.
It also ran the kitchen lights and living room light and plugin's so video games and TV worked.

He used his Ford Festiva to keep the power battery charged when it went down.
2 weeks and 3/4 of a tank of fuel.
That was approximately 7 gallons of fuel.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20 kw? dang i can run my whole place on 6KW power factor 1 generator

Hopefully, I have a big safety factor with the 20kw whole house generator. Trying to only use the 5 ton downstairs ac and not the upstairs. We keep it set at 77-78 in the summer anyway.

I think we are staying around or below the 1/4 load level even with the 5 ton running.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look into battery storage. more money up front, but it will bet cheaper to charge via solar or gen set. That way your not running at night. you can charge and use the power as needed. yes solar is not good in a storm areas. but if you knew it was coming you can prepare for that.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am running a 4k generator. RV hooked up for A/C and cord to refrigerator and 2 freezers in house. No estimate on when we will have power.

Damage caused by City pole. City should have to cover cost, not me. I don't carry insurance. Insurance companies aren't there to PAY CLAIMS. they are to collect premiums and protect mortgage company.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if you could claim the use of an emergency generator on your insurance? Just like if your house was damaged so much you had to stay in a hotel. We all pay for insurance to cover us in the event of an emergency, natural disasters etc.
The last big storm we had, lighting hit near our house and burned up the circuit boards in the generator and the transfer switch. Insurance paid to repair both after I told them about the cost of replacing the 2 freezers of beef.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think your numbers are probably pretty close.

My mom's 14kw Generac ran for 9 days straight during the polar vortex icemageddon and IRRC it was around $300'ish. It was the only time it's ran for more than and hour or so, and she's elderly and was undergoing chemo at the time. It was a godsend for her and if it cost $1000 she wouldn't have complained.

Latest posts

Top Bottom