Oh No, TERMITES!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieChuck

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed I've got some termites starting on the side door facing of the garage. I've never had to deal with them before. A couple of co-workers have used Terminix but there has got to be a less costly way to get rid of them than calling one of the big pest companies.

Looking for suggestions referals, etc.

What has worked for you?

Thanks

Chuck

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah. They only need two things. Water and wood. Find their nest and git rid of any standing water sources they are using. Bird baths are a favorite. Had one that had built a nest all the way inside the hollow base.
Can of wasp spray and a call to Orkin fixed the possible problem. We never had any Termites and finding that nest was a shocker. Had not got to our house because it had wood chips in the flower bed to eat. Neighbor had to have a complete wall redone.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had this issue years ago. Recommend getting them eradicated professionally with extreme prejudice. You will reap the benefits of their guarantee (if provided) and will cover yourself if or when you sell.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
as a preventative I get a bag of termite killer from home depot every couple of years. I put it out around the house and storage shed. I also treat my yard for ticks several times a year.
years ago, I had a shower pan leak under the slab. Termites came in around the drain line and ate a couple of studs before noticed them in the bathroom.
Luckily, I could repair the damage when I rebuilt the shower.
I called a professional to come in and treat everything.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Discovered I had a problem with termites back in 1999, 3 houses ago. They completely ate a whole wall stud and parts of two others. The only thing holding up that corner of the house was the brick veneer, the sheathing, and the 'remains' of the drywall! The termites ate the layer of paper between the gyp and the wall paint, too! We discovered the damage when we were removing some 'antique mirror' panels in a wet bar area.

It seems a prior owner had the house treated for termites but never discovered the damage. We repaired the damage (we were remodeling anyway), had the house inspected and treated again. Some other very minor damage was discovered but no termites.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom