Oil/Gas goings-on in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A "new boom" in Pott County? Doubtful. The big play is North Dakota right now. My gut tells me that the most activity is going to be somewhere along the Rocky Mountains for the next few years. But smaller companies will venture out into the areas that are not "hot" because they don't have the resources to compete with the big boys in the red hot areas and they actually do find good formations pretty regularly. I suspect that's what's going on. I've also seen a courthouse absolutely inundated overnight if someone hits a good well. When word gets out, it's a free-for-all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its pretty much a boom in Kay/Grant county's. The old three sands area thats been abandoned for 50 years has 5 double rigs drilling right now, with dozens of fresh pump jacks, and tank batteries every 1/2 mile or so. I've had 4 wells drilled within a mile of my house in Osage county in just the last year, and I've just seen another rig setting this week. At night one can get on some high ground (about 10' high in this area) and see lots of lights from working rigs.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
kay and grant counties are part of the mississippi lime play and the oil folks and investor sites are predicting the mississippi lime will be bigger than the barrett shale in north dakota. The lime is shallower, softer, and liquid rich.It runs along the oklahoma/kansas border about 50 miles either side from osage county to woods county. That should be enough to let you goggle it. BTW there is a LOT of activity in both grant and kay counties. Right now there are at least 6 companies working to exploit the area.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oil production will be on the way up again. Too much natural gas right now, prices have been at all time lows for a while now with the large reserves we have now. Just doesn't pay for the cost of production. http://205.254.135.7/naturalgas/weekly/ It's hard to tell though when driving into the Western OK and TX panhandle at night. Skyeline is lit up with rigs.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oil production will be on the way up again. Too much natural gas right now, prices have been at all time lows for a while now with the large reserves we have now. Just doesn't pay for the cost of production. http://205.254.135.7/naturalgas/weekly/ It's hard to tell though when driving into the Western OK and TX panhandle at night. Skyeline is lit up with rigs.

That's mainly because it's all investor money that was put up to drill for those gas wells years ago. Those wells will never pay out at today's prices for natural gas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom