OK county sheriff special election

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngers Bend

Marksman
Reaction score
So...is that an endorsement, or a warning?
It's an endorsement to me. I remember the days when Bob Macy was DA. Bob Macy was the champion for honest citizens. I can think of one high profile self-defense shooting in which the victim would never have been prosecuted if Bob Macy were still alive and in office.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an endorsement to me. I remember the days when Bob Macy was DA. Bob Macy was the champion for honest citizens. I can think of one high profile self-defense shooting in which the victim would never have been prosecuted if Bob Macy were still alive and in office.
Are we talking about the same convict-at-any-cost Bob Macy who was the execution champion of the west, and relied on known junk forensics (read: Joyce Gilchrest) to win those convictions? Even today, I doubt we'll ever know how many innocent people went to prison--or to death row--based on his work.

Pass.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think John Whetsel has honorable intentions when he entered office, just like a lot of politicians, preachers and such but along came a little money and things change for people unless they are very strong.

Bighead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my examination of the candidates, I am encouraging people to support Brett Macy (R) or Ed Grimes (I). They have impressive law enforcement careers, are well regarded by their peers, and have a reputation for honesty. If you are a Republican in Oklahoma County, I would encourage to vote Macy on next Tuesday, 4/4/2017, in order to help place a quality candidate on the general election ballot for this fall. In the fall, vote your conscience for Macy or Grimes (or whoever you decide to support).

Mike Christian (Republican) is IMHO a politician looking for a job without term limit. A search of news reports about Christian will reveal multiple instances of low integrity, from lying during an internal investigation at the OHP, to his alleged involvement in the 2010 corruption scandal that sent Randy Terrill to state prison.

PD Taylor (Republican) has a fine reputation from his years at the Oklahoma City Police, where he was the long time police union president. He came to work at the Sheriff's Office in 1997 after the election of John Whetsel. He was hired at the rank of captain, although he had never been a supervisor during his OCPD career. Taylor quickly rose to the #2 position of Under Sheriff, a rank he held these last 14 years. If you are happy with the operation of the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office under Whetsel's tenure, then feel free to elect Taylor. If, like me, you feel the Sheriff's Office needs new direction, then there are other quality candidates that don't have the baggage of a 20-year career as John Whetsel's right hand man.

Brett Macy is a retired police lieutenant with Oklahoma City, and started his career with the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. Macy has a reputation for honesty, for being his own man, and for standing up for what is right even when his bosses don't want to hear it (likely the reason his career progression stopped at lieutenant). Since retiring Macy has provided private services as a financial crimes investigator, and is a member of the State Board of Probation and Parole. Macy has suffered no allegations of impropriety or corruption.

Ed Grimes (Independent) is a retired OKC police sergeant, and was later the Under Sheriff for Canadian County. Grimes is well respected by both former partners on the OCPD and former employees at the Canadian County SO. There have been no allegations of impropriety or corruption.

For Democrat voters reading this, I can say that Mike Hanson has spent a career at the Oklahoma County SO, and is the superior choices on the Democrat primary balance. Once a Captain at the Sheriff's Office, Mike suffered a career setback several years ago, reportedly from speaking truth to power at the SO.

Bighead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chief of OUHSC Police (and retired OCPD Captain) Nate Tarver had this to say about his experience in the OCPD Police Academy with Brett Macy:

"What I quickly learned about Brett was that he was his own man. It became apparent he was going to be a leader. He was confident, quick witted, and intelligent. Brett made it his mission to get to know all 49 other recruits and to the least of us he was our biggest encourager. Brett could have easily made it about him. He could have easily thought he had it made because everyone loved and admired his father. But he did not see it that way."

And later, when Tarver was assigned as the shift commander where Macy was a supervisor:

"Officers wanted to work for the supervisor duo of Macy and Lt. Robert Ellyson. They created an atmosphere where these officers would follow them where ever they would lead them. These officers gladly wanted to be there and do their jobs...It was uncanny and unusual how well these officers spoke of them. I got promoted (and) then saw for myself how Brett and Robert motivated their people. For Brett it was just being Brett Macy, the man he was in our academy. the leader, motivator, and encourager who directed his people on what to do, and then went out there and worked alongside them."

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my examination of the candidates, I am encouraging people to support Brett Macy (R) or Ed Grimes (I). They have impressive law enforcement careers, are well regarded by their peers, and have a reputation for honesty. If you are a Republican in Oklahoma County, I would encourage to vote Macy on next Tuesday, 4/4/2017, in order to help place a quality candidate on the general election ballot for this fall. In the fall, vote your conscience for Macy or Grimes (or whoever you decide to support).

Mike Christian (Republican) is IMHO a politician looking for a job without term limit. A search of news reports about Christian will reveal multiple instances of low integrity, from lying during an internal investigation at the OHP, to his alleged involvement in the 2010 corruption scandal that sent Randy Terrill to state prison.

PD Taylor (Republican) has a fine reputation from his years at the Oklahoma City Police, where he was the long time police union president. He came to work at the Sheriff's Office in 1997 after the election of John Whetsel. He was hired at the rank of captain, although he had never been a supervisor during his OCPD career. Taylor quickly rose to the #2 position of Under Sheriff, a rank he held these last 14 years. If you are happy with the operation of the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office under Whetsel's tenure, then feel free to elect Taylor. If, like me, you feel the Sheriff's Office needs new direction, then there are other quality candidates that don't have the baggage of a 20-year career as John Whetsel's right hand man.

Brett Macy is a retired police lieutenant with Oklahoma City, and started his career with the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. Macy has a reputation for honesty, for being his own man, and for standing up for what is right even when his bosses don't want to hear it (likely the reason his career progression stopped at lieutenant). Since retiring Macy has provided private services as a financial crimes investigator, and is a member of the State Board of Probation and Parole. Macy has suffered no allegations of impropriety or corruption.

Ed Grimes (Independent) is a retired OKC police sergeant, and was later the Under Sheriff for Canadian County. Grimes is well respected by both former partners on the OCPD and former employees at the Canadian County SO. There have been no allegations of impropriety or corruption.

For Democrat voters reading this, I can say that Mike Hanson has spent a career at the Oklahoma County SO, and is the superior choices on the Democrat primary balance. Once a Captain at the Sheriff's Office, Mike suffered a career setback several years ago, reportedly from speaking truth to power at the SO.

Bighead, that's some good research right there. Thanks!
(I like your avatar, btw.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom