OKC Gun Club Orientation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out there as a guest several times and loved it, I'm still joining, the math just didn't add up to me, only because they have orientations from time to time at the end of the year, it is what it is, once it's said and done and I can actually enjoy the ranges it won't bother me

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
just checked the event calender to see if there is a match i want to shoot. there is a lot going on so its a good day for an orientation. drive around and observe whats going on. just remember that the action ranges,cowboy and shotgun fields are a mile east of the main entrance off of hiwasse. i think i'll just go shoot some skeet.
enjoy!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the Orientation yesterday...didn't have time to hang around after but I'm excited to have finally joined up.

Whats the deal with the silhouette range? Are those targets fair game for rifle shooting, providing you use the proper ammunition and there are no matches going on?

I need to get around to the action range side to check it out too. Steel targets in place or do folks bring their own?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the Orientation yesterday...didn't have time to hang around after but I'm excited to have finally joined up.

Whats the deal with the silhouette range? Are those targets fair game for rifle shooting, providing you use the proper ammunition and there are no matches going on?

I need to get around to the action range side to check it out too. Steel targets in place or do folks bring their own?

On the action side it's pretty much a bring your own affair. There are a few target stands there, but some 1x2 strips and targets are highly advised. They have an old plate rack with 4 or 5 plates in one of the bays and some cowboy steel targets around too, but they won't allow anything but plain lead bullets on them. Not plated, not coated (any coating), just old school plain a$$ lead and only from pistols too unless .22 rimfire. :screwy:

Bring your own targets and you are golden as long as your bullets impact the berm.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think the silhouette targets are for competition only. Although, I think you can shoot the sight-in targets. I recommend contacting the Division Chairman and confirming this information before going to that range.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the fact that the whole silhouette range is not open to all club members is my biggest complaint about the club. there are some practice targets on the west end that are open but i would like the chance to shoot at some more.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, when I first saw that range I was pretty excited...getting a chance to ring steel out to 300 sounded pretty good.

But I suppose if they opened it up for general use, the targets would be shredded in no time.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, when I first saw that range I was pretty excited...getting a chance to ring steel out to 300 sounded pretty good.

But I suppose if they opened it up for general use, the targets would be shredded in no time.

There are centerfire rifle rated gongs at the 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard line on the silhouette range. I shot them under the watchful eye of Jim Fields last week.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bring your own targets and you are golden as long as your bullets impact the berm.

Try asking Whitey about doing this on the high power range. I dare ya. You'll be cussed up one side and down the other and threatened with being tossed out on your ear.

I really like the guy and genuinely enjoyed working with him on the work day last year but that rankled me something fierce.

There are centerfire rifle rated gongs at the 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard line on the silhouette range. I shot them under the watchful eye of Jim Fields last week.

This is true but it would behoove anyone wanting to do the same to make it a point of contacting the folks in charge of that range and finding out exactly which targets are open for this use.

The last thing in the world we need is for the last place available for shooting some sort of steel greater than a piddly 25 yards away at the OKC Gun Club to be taken away too after things get abused. Following the dissolution of the 100/200/300 range on the NE side of the club there's nothing else for for doing skill-building drills, finding holdovers and such aside from the Silhouette range.

Ek

Latest posts

Top Bottom