Okies View of the Rest of America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we are gonna have to have a little talk about putting KY in Yankee land on your map.
You're all eat up with Arizona open carry, and KY has had Constitutional open carry, pistols and long guns, for over 200 years, plus the right to carry a loaded pistol in saddle bags--now in the glovebox--without any kind of license. I thought all pickups came with a pistol in the glovebox, and "yankee" was only half a word.
Do you know where Bourbon comes from? (Hint: Bourbon County, one of the 3 KY counties in 1792)
Ever watch the show "Justified?"

OK, Rod, KY was actually the very last modification I made to the map. I had it as it's own entity. I didn't know that about the guns. At all. I lumped them in with Yankees because I actually had to consult a Civil War map to see where it was. I started to put "whiskey and race horses" but the Yankee thing won out.

There you now have insight into the actual thought process that went on the creation of this little map! ;)

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tornadoes and trailer parks. Pretty much the only time you see Oklahoma on the national news it is because of weather. They interview some toothless half drunk redneck that watched the tornado wipe out his trailer while he was sipping on his keystone light at his 250lb girlfriend's Mother's trailer.

Remember, stereotypes are rooted in truth.

I still love Okies calling folks “Yankees”. About as legit as all the White folks in Oklahoma calling themselves “Indians”.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"what they think" has a lot to do with the choices a business makes when it expands or relocates.

People who scout locations look at this kind of stuff:

Schools.
Recreation
Cultural ammenities
Medical Care

in addition to :

Educated work force
Competing business for said work force
Tax Breaks
Land and development costs

So ... when some liberal ya hoo from NYC (who can make or break a $million dollar deal) that will grow your county out of the red dirt finds out his kids will be in the bottom tier of the education system, he wont get a tax break, the town can't afford to provide ifrastructure to his proposed plant and he's gonna have to hire a out-of- state contractor and crew to build the place... He won't come here. Nor will he be able to strong arm his key people to come here.

Other than oil patch work... not much happens in OK outside of OKC because of those perceptions. It's a shame too.

We have:
Good hardworking people
Lots of space
Easy regulations
Paved roads and easy acess to both coasts, ports, the Midwest and rail roads.

This state hemorages it's college graduates.to other places every year.. ya'all ever think about that.

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still love Okies calling folks “Yankees”. About as legit as all the White folks in Oklahoma calling themselves “Indians”.

But it still happens, that's why it made the map! LOL!

Yeah, you know something is wrong when a tribal chief has the last name, "Smith." I truly amazed at the number of blond, blue-eyed tribal members.

I heard someone say, "If you had a room with 32 people, 31 white and one Indian, you wouldn't call it an "Indian gathering", but folks who are 1/32 Indian call themselves (and are called) Indian. I'm 1/32 Cherokee, btw, without a roll number. If you take that a little further, if you have four people in a room, 3 white and one Indian........

Not meaning to be controversial, just thought provoking....

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, stereotypes are rooted in truth.

Yea... I have a guy (we are buds now) who decided I was a "yankee" one day. I asked him how many of HIS forbearers where shot as spys by the Federal Army.
Then we had a geography lesson... Memphis is south of Guthrie.

Latest posts

Top Bottom