Okies View of the Rest of America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"what they think" has a lot to do with the choices a business makes when it expands or relocates.

This state hemorages it's college graduates.to other places every year.. ya'all ever think about that.

You aren't wrong! Very insightful, in fact. Now, if we could just get EVERYONE to see it that way.... :/

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea... I have a guy (we are buds now) who decided I was a "yankee" one day. I asked him how many of HIS forbearers where shot as spys by the Federal Army.
Then we had a geography lesson... Memphis is south of Guthrie.

Yep – Okies seem to be hung up on wanting to be Southerners. I remember years ago, KMYZ (IIRC) in Tulsa had some morning show guys that had some kind of “pick on a Yankee” segment, where they’d call someone from the Northeast and razz them about being a Yankee. One morning the idiots called up Henry Primeaux (of Primeaux Kia/Crown Autoworld) and lit into him because of his “Yankee accent”. They felt pretty stupid when he turned it around on them, telling them they were the “Yankees”, as he is from New Orleans.

Your post about businesses relocating was spot on, by the way.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
But BY GOD, we just don't give a damn what none of them liberals think no how! We don't need them new jobs or that EEEEEKonomic development. We is just fine they way we is. YEE HAW.

"what they think" has a lot to do with the choices a business makes when it expands or relocates.

People who scout locations look at this kind of stuff:

Schools.
Recreation
Cultural ammenities
Medical Care

in addition to :

Educated work force
Competing business for said work force
Tax Breaks
Land and development costs

So ... when some liberal ya hoo from NYC (who can make or break a $million dollar deal) that will grow your county out of the red dirt finds out his kids will be in the bottom tier of the education system, he wont get a tax break, the town can't afford to provide ifrastructure to his proposed plant and he's gonna have to hire a out-of- state contractor and crew to build the place... He won't come here. Nor will he be able to strong arm his key people to come here.

Other than oil patch work... not much happens in OK outside of OKC because of those perceptions. It's a shame too.

We have:
Good hardworking people
Lots of space
Easy regulations
Paved roads and easy acess to both coasts, ports, the Midwest and rail roads.

This state hemorages it's college graduates.to other places every year.. ya'all ever think about that.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at a wedding in Hawaii and met some people from NY and they legitimately asked me if we had buffalos and Indians roaming around. I didn't think they were serious but they were serious as a heart attack.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had first time visitors to Oklahoma look around with disappointment and finally ask, "Where's the teepee's?"
A guy from Ohio..turned ot to be a really good guy..came here to work on a job at goodyear .
He would ask me where the Indians live...i told him they live all around ,what do you mean?
Seems that they told him before he came down here to watch out for the Indians, if you get on theyre land theyll kidnap you...LOL.....he wanted to know ...Where they lived?

Latest posts

Top Bottom