Oklahoma Budget Crisis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
anybody notice Kay County? Our Super draws over $200k a year. Second highest in the state last year. I didn't go through the list to see who was over him.
if you want to see something funny look at Lawton, Bishop, and Flower Mound the last two are elementary schools, but in Lawton.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are not in Lawton school district but in the city of Lawton, more or less. by the way, you have no idea how schools function.
They're quite near - but "more or less" isn't "is" as inferred in your earlier "in Lawton" statement. And although admittedly I'm no expert, I am an employee of public education as are two of my sister-in-laws who teach at the elementary level; between us I'd say we have at least a passing notion of "how schools function".

We're also all quite thankful for our jobs, including the pay and benefits that we have. Are their things we wish the school would buy for us to make our jobs easier or more efficent? You bet. Do we sometimes spend out of our own pocket for those things? Yep, we do. Would we like to be paid more? Of course! But we don't run around pissing and moaning about how bad we've got it because we all remember having been paid less for much harder work.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
They're quite near - but "more or less" isn't "is" as inferred in your earlier "in Lawton" statement. And although admittedly I'm no expert, I am an employee of public education as are two of my sister-in-laws who teach at the elementary level; between us I'd say we have at least a passing notion of "how schools function".

We're also all quite thankful for our jobs, including the pay and benefits that we have. Are their things we wish the school would buy for us to make our jobs easier or more efficent? You bet. Do we sometimes spend out of our own pocket for those things? Yep, we do. Would we like to be paid more? Of course! But we don't run around pissing and moaning about how bad we've got it because we all remember having been paid less for much harder work.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets see Flower Mound is 397 feet outside of Lawton, and Bishop actually sits inside the city of Lawton. Therefore, believe my original post is correct.
If you do teach school, why do make assertions such as you did in post number 58? Just because your sisters in-laws teach does not mean you have any idea about the education profession. My brother in-law drives a truck and I have never sat in a cab of one. There is no comparison between a federal job and teaching. Actually there is little comparison between most state jobs and teaching. I do not believe there is a comparison between teaching elementary level grades and high school. If you believe there is a comparison, then my statement about you not having any idea about the education profession is true.
You stated that you are an employee of the education system, what do you do?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets see Flower Mound is 397 feet outside of Lawton, and Bishop actually sits inside the city of Lawton. Therefore, believe my original post is correct.
I suppose (torturing a quotation) that "It depends what the meaning of the word 'in' is." Since you seem to have your finger on the facts perhaps you'd be willing to share the reason neither are part of the Lawton Public School district?
If you do teach school, why do make assertions such as you did in post number 58? Just because your sisters in-laws teach does not mean you have any idea about the education profession.
I've worked for the federal government. I've worked for the state government. I currently work in public education. In each and every one of those jobs I've purchased some of my own equipment and supplies when budgets were tight. Two of my wife's sisters who currently teach at the elementary level have done the same, and none of us are complaining about it. I think that's about what I said in "post number 58" and fail to see where any of that is difficult to understand. On further thought I realize that I've purchased my own equipment and supplies when working in the private sector and never beefed about that either. The intent of all that was simply a reminder to review the "unreimbursed employee expenses" topics when filing tax returns in case any/all may be eligible.
There is no comparison between a federal job and teaching. Actually there is little comparison between most state jobs and teaching. I do not believe there is a comparison between teaching elementary level grades and high school. If you believe there is a comparison, then my statement about you not having any idea about the education profession is true.
Actually the only comparisons I made were purchasing one's own supplies and equipment and a feeling that one would like to be paid more. If you truly believe there are no valid comparisons between working in education and elsewhere I might suggest that you may have spent far too much time isolated within the halls of academia. It's certainly not an uncommon conceit among those who have.
You stated that you are an employee of the education system, what do you do?
Let's just say that I no longer teach.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose (torturing a quotation) that "It depends what the meaning of the word 'in' is." Since you seem to have your finger on the facts perhaps you'd be willing to share the reason neither are part of the Lawton Public School district?

I've worked for the federal government. I've worked for the state government. I currently work in public education. In each and every one of those jobs I've purchased some of my own equipment and supplies when budgets were tight. Two of my wife's sisters who currently teach at the elementary level have done the same, and none of us are complaining about it. I think that's about what I said in "post number 58" and fail to see where any of that is difficult to understand. On further thought I realize that I've purchased my own equipment and supplies when working in the private sector and never beefed about that either. The intent of all that was simply a reminder to review the "unreimbursed employee expenses" topics when filing tax returns in case any/all may be eligible.

Actually the only comparisons I made were purchasing one's own supplies and equipment and a feeling that one would like to be paid more. If you truly believe there are no valid comparisons between working in education and elsewhere I might suggest that you may have spent far too much time isolated within the halls of academia. It's certainly not an uncommon conceit among those who have.

Let's just say that I no longer teach.
I spent 20 years in the army before I ever started teaching. My wife and sister teach in Lawton, too. I am not going to call BS on your claims, but you should know better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom