Oklahoma Budget Crisis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it extremely sad that people attack teachers and education. Vo Techs contribute billions.of dollars into the economy by turning out skilled workers. They are more successful then State Colleges, and they cost a fraction to fund. If anything, cut OU/OSU off state funds.

As for teachers, my wife has to buy all of her own classroom supplies. No refunds. She's got a BA and started out at 27k a year. We're prolly going to Texas next year. 15k raise for her, and 20k raise in my profession. Cheaper living too.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like our roads and bridges; teachers, superintendents and school districts didn't cause this budget problem. Our dumb as dirt legislature and moron governor did. And THEY should be the ones to take the ass beating to fix it.

Yeah, lost oil revenue had nothing to do with budget deficiencies. It's always the elected officials fault.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, lost oil revenue had nothing to do with budget deficiencies. It's always the elected officials fault.

Our elected officials are the ones that build and approve the budgets. They are the ones who pass laws that incentivize certain industries and approve large infrastructure projects. They are the ones who set the tax rates and expenditures and give their buddies tax breaks and no bid contracts in exchange for kick backs and high paying jobs once they leave office. They are the ones who built our state's economy around a single finite revenue source that is particularly susceptible to foreign manipulation, instead of finding ways to build a diverse and robust economy that can withstand hard economic times.

When the economy is booming and lots of money is rolling in, they are the first ones to trip all over each other trying to take credit for anything positive that happens. They sure as hell should take the blame when it all fails miserably.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for teachers, my wife has to buy all of her own classroom supplies. No refunds. She's got a BA and started out at 27k a year. We're prolly going to Texas next year. 15k raise for her, and 20k raise in my profession. Cheaper living too.

Ditto. **** OK!
I will not be teaching here either. Other states are happy to take OK teachers.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the people that think teachers are over paid. Go volunteer at s school for a week. My wife works 12+ hours a day plus weekends with no overtime. We pay for all classroom supplies, including copy paper. We have bought 6 kids shoes, coats, clothes and sent home bags of food to the entire class. Her school is in a extremely poor town. With out her and other teachers those kids starve. It's really madding when people talk **** about people that are trying to better our society. Those same people then turn around and mouth police. Then they wonder why our society is going to pot. If you keep undermining the two pillars of our society, it's going to fall. I think it's already falling.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It pretty much is isn't it? Now they are dropping every drilling tax credit they can think of, along with the alternative vehicle tax credits. Dumbasses! The lot of them!

Yes let's add a few hundred million in taxes to the drilling companies that are already going tits up, that'll get those stacked rigs unstacked in a hurry. Yessiree Bob....

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are shittiy teachers out there. Some probably don't even deserve to be paid as much as they do. But the majority of teachers i've met are hardworking caring and knowledgeable people. You wouldnt believe the crap teachers put up with on a daily basis!
I think there needs to be better evaluation of teacher performance. teacher performance based on student performance (i.e., on standardized tests) is crap. just an example, I get kids that can't do long division IN COLLEGE!!!!!! I see kids that sit and stare into thin air. Why the hell should i be evaluated based on the performance of kids that DONT WANT TO LEARN!

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

This is a common probelm in society... get by with doing as little as possible... without responsibility or fear of consequence.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is in 2011. $56,000,000 in compensation for school superintendents.

Cliff notes:
22 make more than the governor of the state. ($147,000)
202 knock down in excess of $100,000 per year.
Some are paid over $3000 per student while others are paid just over $1 per student.
One guy get $68,000 per year for 14 students.

Those oil companies need to atone for this!

Latest posts

Top Bottom