Oklahoma City police chief discusses concerns regarding permitless carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it'll do all of us good to read the new law carefully and know exactly what can and cannot be done. Then read it again.

Yes...very carefully. There are something like 36 pages, many of which are references to "amending" previous law, which it had to do for the law to be effective. One needs to know what amendments have been made and how those amendments are causing the new law to read.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of some officers who are anti-gun. One in particular was a deputy sheriff I worked with for a short time. People were coming in to get fingerprinted for SDA applications and he made a comment that civilians shouldn’t have guns and then went on a rant about how they should be registered.

I mentioned the second amendment and the people have the legal right by law and he went off again saying that he wished we could go out and confiscate every one of them, that only LE and military should have guns. Obviously we didn’t agree and I stayed away from him the rest of the time I was at that agency.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case some of you would like the reading material. Not sure if it’s final version has been posted yet.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2019-20 ENR/hB/HB2597 ENR.PDF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
y

Just a quick glance, but I see one possible problem. There are several places where “handgun” has been lined out and “firearm” is replacing the word. This could be construed by some to start carrying rifles openly and create more problems for the rest of us.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
y

Just a quick glance, but I see one possible problem. There are several places where “handgun” has been lined out and “firearm” is replacing the word. This could be construed by some to start carrying rifles openly and create more problems for the rest of us.

No construction required as that is exactly what it means. Same rules apply as handguns, i.e. must be in a holster/carrier/scabbard.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No construction required as that is exactly what it means. Same rules apply as handguns, i.e. must be in a holster/carrier/scabbard.

So if one wants to carry an AR-15 in public, it can’t simply be slung over the shoulder? It has to be in a carrier bag or rifle sock or some such?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if one wants to carry an AR-15 in public, it can’t simply be slung over the shoulder? It has to be in a carrier bag or rifle sock or some such?

That's my understanding from following some other commentary. Most thinking is going toward the carrying of the AR15 pistols which looks like the name says, some sort of hybrid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom