Oklahoma City police chief discusses concerns regarding permitless carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
y

Just a quick glance, but I see one possible problem. There are several places where “handgun” has been lined out and “firearm” is replacing the word. This could be construed by some to start carrying rifles openly and create more problems for the rest of us.

I also have been a little concerned that some people will start carrying rifles just to make a scene and be noticed. Idiots love posting stuff like that on YouTube to make themselves feel important. But, despite it being an inappropriate thing to do under ordinary circumstances, I’m also thankful that carrying long guns will be legal because there are situations where it makes sense. Think aftermath of major natural disasters where looting is a significant concern. It’s helpful in a situation like that, when law enforcement is stretched thin, to have a highly visible firearm presence to send a message that may help deter lawlessness.

I think we’ll be better off having the option of carrying long guns when the rare need for it arises.

Now that I think of it, another legitimate reason to carry a rifle/shotgun is if that’s the only firearm someone has and they can’t afford anything else. It may not be ideal, but no one should be denied the use of whatever protection is within their financial means.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas has free long gun carry. Some self serving publicity seekers have carried them openly for social media likes, but I'm in the boat of long guns being just as legal as hand guns.
Past Ok law before Stitt said that if your in possession of an SDA license you can carry a long gun openly in your vehicle without being chamber loaded. Magazines can be loaded but not inserted.
I've had an SDA license for so long that I don't remember the exact law for non license holders but I think it was it had to be in a case and not openly carried. I stand to be corrected on that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas has free long gun carry. Some self serving publicity seekers have carried them openly for social media likes, but I'm in the boat of long guns being just as legal as hand guns.
Past Ok law before Stitt said that if your in possession of an SDA license you can carry a long gun openly in your vehicle without being chamber loaded. Magazines can be loaded but not inserted.
I've had an SDA license for so long that I don't remember the exact law for non license holders but I think it was it had to be in a case and not openly carried. I stand to be corrected on that.

I was thinking that a number of years ago (almost 20 now), one could have any weapon in their vehicle so long as the ammunition was separate and out of reach of the occupants. I'd check at OSCN, but I'm wondering if over time the legislature hasn't amended what I remember.

From OSCN, based on Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971:

Firearms in Vehicles

Transporting a Loaded Firearm

Improper Transport of Firearms

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking that a number of years ago (almost 20 now), one could have any weapon in their vehicle so long as the ammunition was separate and out of reach of the occupants. I'd check at OSCN, but I'm wondering if over time the legislature hasn't amended what I remember.

I don't remember. Didn't need to as I got my SDA in the first year it came out, and I kind of wiped my ram drive part of the laws I don't need to worry about anymore.
I used to hunt deer on a DMAP for so many years that I didn't have a clue of what current harvest and gun requirements were outside of the DMAP until I quit and started hunting my property that is not included in the DMAP. Had to re-educate myself the last two seasons.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I haven't really looked at this new law closely enough. Does it allow you to have a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle with a loaded magazine and/or inserted? What about an AR pistol?

That's really all I want beyond the regular SDA permits.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I haven't really looked at this new law closely enough. Does it allow you to have a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle with a loaded magazine and/or inserted? What about an AR pistol?

By my reading, yes. Anywhere an SDA licensee can have a handgun today you can have a loaded rifle or shotgun on November 1st. It still prohibits chamber-loaded long guns in motor vehicles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom