Oklahoma City police chief discusses concerns regarding permitless carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Citty's rant caught me off guard. I didn't realize it was on the news.
My first thought was someone was trying to set a record for the most stupid stuff said in 15 seconds.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen.

I do have a concern though. I recently attended a neighborhood watch at our local P.D. Volunteers were requested. One of their rules is, guess what, NO FIREARMS. Granted, you are not the police and you are not to engage in any encounter with anyone you deem suspicious. You are to be a good witness and remain on watch after you report what you see to the police only if safe to do so. You are to drive away if someone you have suspicions about is approaching you.

So my question is, why in my vehicle, on my time, volunteering for a very minuscule chance at a hazardous situation, do they purport to tell me I cannot carry a weapon like I do with my daily life? I know it is for insurance purposes so my question is redundant as hell but it just burns me a bit.

Especially after they have already gone through the scenario of a home intruder or encounter out in public and saying you can defend yourself with your second amendment rights if you feel the threat is there.

Rant over.

okmedic

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Amen.

I do have a concern though. I recently attended a neighborhood watch at our local P.D. Volunteers were requested. One of their rules is, guess what, NO FIREARMS. Granted, you are not the police and you are not to engage in any encounter with anyone you deem suspicious. You are to be a good witness and remain on watch after you report what you see to the police only if safe to do so. You are to drive away if someone you have suspicions about is approaching you.

So my question is, why in my vehicle, on my time, volunteering for a very minuscule chance at a hazardous situation, do they purport to tell me I cannot carry a weapon like I do with my daily life? I know it is for insurance purposes so my question is redundant as hell but it just burns me a bit.

Especially after they have already gone through the scenario of a home intruder or encounter out in public and saying you can defend yourself with your second amendment rights if you feel the threat is there.

Rant over.

Sounds like it was their insurance company talking and not the neighborhood. No one tells me that I cannot carry protection.

If I were in college today, I would carry in my backpack, whether it was legal or not. It’s not like I’m going to advertise it. I’ll take my chances after the fact if I have to but at least I’ll be alive to do so.

If there’s a chance of encountering a threat, I will have a way to defend myself from that threat whether the HOA likes it or not. They obviously need a way to say they told you not to in order to cover their asses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Amen.

Rant over.
Just say no!

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its new so I guess it's going to be a bit intimidating. I don't understand the issue with it. If an LEO has business with someone, they get an ID and a carry permit and use the computers to check you out. With constitutional carry. They get an ID a d check you out. If your OK in either instance you're good to go. If you have legal issues. You and the LEO have more to discuss. Simple? Maybe?

Oklahoma has no stop & identify law, so someone who’s carrying and doesn’t have an SDA license is not required to identify themselves unless they’re being arrested (assuming they’re not driving). This is of little practical consequence, though, because practically everyone who is asked for ID by police is going to produce it, and most LEO encounters are going to be while driving. I just mention it as an interesting technicality. Also interesting since SDA licensees are required to identify when asked, so in that sense someone without a license has fewer legal duties.

Also, if someone does refuse to identify while carrying, I’d imagine they’ll be in for a very long detention while the LEO and their supervisor try to figure out what to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom