Oklahoma Deer Harvest Below 90,000.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go back and look at the harvest totals for the two to three years previous to 2013. They were all well over 110,000. Weren't we in a worse drought then that we are now? Theman is spot on about the rain.. Deer don't move much when there is an abundace of food, less movement equals less kills.. The weather was horrible for the rifle opener also like okbassin said...

I actually think the hunting is better when we are in a drought.. just think about it.. you can control where they eat(corn feeders) and if you have a water source your good to go..

Disagree with this. I am guessing everything is regional but the drought that we have had (for several years) takes its toll over time. The absence of fawns 2 years ago due to drought, disease, poor body condition, etc leads to the lack of a harvest today. We talked about it on here knowing this day was coming. Dry does, or does with no twins kill a herd. As Hoddy mentioned, lots of death of old bucks too. To think you can provide the daily nutritional requirements that a deer needs in a few seconds of corn (or piles) to sustain them through a drought, winter, and rut is asinine and that is not even considering most don't put out any "supplement" till season even starts. Bottom line, drought sucks. Animals need water, plants, and protein for good health and reproduction. Drought may cleanse the herd and everything will rebound after normal rain patterns but until that happens, deer numbers will continue to fall.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree with this. I am guessing everything is regional but the drought that we have had (for several years) takes its toll over time. The absence of fawns 2 years ago due to drought, disease, poor body condition, etc leads to the lack of a harvest today. We talked about it on here knowing this day was coming. Dry does, or does with no twins kill a herd. As Hoddy mentioned, lots of death of old bucks too. To think you can provide the daily nutritional requirements that a deer needs in a few seconds of corn (or piles) to sustain them through a drought, winter, and rut is asinine and that is not even considering most don't put out any "supplement" till season even starts. Bottom line, drought sucks. Animals need water, plants, and protein for good health and reproduction. Drought may cleanse the herd and everything will rebound after normal rain patterns but until that happens, deer numbers will continue to fall.

I agree with both of you. Sustained drought like justin is talking about is bad, and not good for hunting. But I think I know what you are talking about Brian. About three years ago we had drought conditions in SE part of state, only for a year, and it was a slaughter over the corn feeders. Luckily we rebounded from that drought over the next couple of years and are normal now, but for that one year, it was flat out too easy to hunt over a feeder.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with both of you. Sustained drought like justin is talking about is bad, and not good for hunting. But I think I know what you are talking about Brian. About three years ago we had drought conditions in SE part of state, only for a year, and it was a slaughter over the corn feeders. Luckily we rebounded from that drought over the next couple of years and are normal now, but for that one year, it was flat out too easy to hunt over a feeder.

Agreed, the first couple of years of the drought, if you had a pond left, it was like sitting over an oasis in the African bush.........every animal came to drink before dark, both predator and prey. Then they all dried up. IIRC were on years 6 or 7 of little rain.......and the last couple of years have been almost no rain. This last year is the first year in almost 20 years where I didn't have large herds of doe feeding in cut milo during December and January.......usually over a 100 deer in each herd, this year there were only 15-30 out there. The only thing that I've noticed that have not reduced in numbers are raccoon and coyotes.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with your point, drought is never good for the heard health. Especially western oklahoma and the panhandle. . They have a low harvest because of the drought..

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do wounder if tag sales went down this last year? The nagging question that I keep wondering is how many people used the same tag to bag numerous deer with. I hope that this has not happened. I like the online check, but there is unethical hunters as well as honest people who are not technically savvy and left in a tough spot. Also people who would under the old check in ways comply with the law, but given that lee way find their selves tempted to cheat. Now I hope I'm totally wrong and off base by the above statements and other things lead to the lower numbers. I have to say it was the toughest season I have had in a long time and numerous friends felt the same way. All the openers seemed to be very unproductive and very tough hunting. This is just my opinion and just a curios thought I have so don't flog me on these thoughts.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed, the first couple of years of the drought, if you had a pond left, it was like sitting over an oasis in the African bush.........every animal came to drink before dark, both predator and prey. Then they all dried up. IIRC were on years 6 or 7 of little rain.......and the last couple of years have been almost no rain. This last year is the first year in almost 20 years where I didn't have large herds of doe feeding in cut milo during December and January.......usually over a 100 deer in each herd, this year there were only 15-30 out there. The only thing that I've noticed that have not reduced in numbers are raccoon and coyotes.

Oh no! Only 15-30 deer per herd? You poor thing! I'm lettin the air out of your tires next time I see you in Push Co.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh no! Only 15-30 deer per herd? You poor thing! I'm lettin the air out of your tires next time I see you in Push Co.

I saw that many crossing the road within a mile from town, that time I was down there with Justin............and you can't see 50 yards ahead of you because of the all the curves in the road.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to limit every year to fill the freezer. Now as I have acquired the taste of Elk and have the opportunity to hunt elk, I am more selective on deer. This year, I personally was responsible for 4 less than normal. Although I saw the numbers, I usually see.

That's right 4 less deer. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom