Oklahoma Execution Botched

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
McALESTER -- The execution of inmate Clayton Lockett was botched tonight at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary and the second execution scheduled for tonight has been called off.

Lockett was given execution drugs and reacted violently, kicking and grimacing while lifting his head off the gurney to which he was strapped. He was pronounced dead at 7:06 p.m. -- 43 minutes after the process began -- Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton said.

In a media conference, Patton said Lockett's veins "exploded" during the execution, which began at 6:23 p.m. Patton said the inmate died from a massive heart attack.

Charles Warner was scheduled to be executed at 8 p.m. Patton said he notified the governor's office and the attorney general's office about the events and asked for a 14 day delay of Charles Warner's execution, which was scheduled for 8 p.m.

Sixteen minutes after Lockett's execution began, a Department of Corrections representative told the media and other observers viewing the death chamber: “We’re going to close the blinds temporarily.”

DOC director Robert Patton left the room for several minutes and was on the phone. He returned to the room and said: “We’ve had a vein failure in which the chemicals did not make it into the offender. Under my authority, we’re issuing a stay for the second execution.”

Charles Warner was scheduled to be executed at 8 p.m.

Two attorneys for Lockett were the only witnesses present in the death chamber for the inmate. Both looked shocked at the turn of events.

Defense attorney David Autry said he was unsure how much of the chemicals Lockett had been given.

“They will save him so they can kill him another day,” Autry said.

Media witnesses have not been told if Lockett has been taken to a hospital.

Defense attorney Dean Sanderford said, “that’s an overdose level that they gave him of midazolam, so those levels are still rising in his blood.”

About 15 minutes after the blinds were closed to the death chamber, media witnesses were told to exit the area.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/execution-for-one-inmate-botched-stayed-for-another/article_80cc060a-cff2-11e3-967c-0017a43b2370.html

This is FUKCING abhorrent and indefensible. Things better start changing on a national level tomorrow. Absolutely disgusting that this happens in modern America.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you consider yourself a Christian and support this, you baffle me. I grew up Methodist, and for those of you who aren't aware of what a Methodist believes on the subject, I'll summarize. See, the Methodist church believes that it's not very Christlike to torture people to death.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two questions:
1. How much is his family going to sue the state for.....?
2. How long will it be before the state does another lethal injection. I read that the other inmate's execution has been pushed back 2 weeks. I think it's going to be MUCH longer do to challenges and investigations stemming from this.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have zero sympathy, his victims felt fear and pain and terror so If I had my rathers all death row inmates would suffer much worse than this piece of ****.

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I support capital punishment. And he got what he deserved in the end. However I still think a firing squad would be cheaper....faster.....more effictive. I am a little torn on this one though. No one deserves to suffer. But at the same time his victim did......so toss up for me.

This signature is illegal in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom