Oklahoma Execution Botched

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state should take from no man what it can not return, even one execution of the wrong person is too many and it has happened more than once already. I already disagree with execution on those grounds and find this botched execution disgusting.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Christ's passion reversed a lot of the teachings of the Old Testament, if you want to read past the first dozen pages or so.

I don't think it "reversed" anything...

Matthew 17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

... I read that to say OT law is as valid today as it ever was.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of questions.....simple yes or no answers would be fine.
1. Did the convicted know that what he was doing (murder) was wrong?
2. Did the convicted know that the death penalty was a punishment for murder?

You can't answer these questions with a simple Yes or No. If this individual was willing Rape and Murder someone, do think he would give honest responses to these questions. In the end he is the only one who really knew.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state should take from no man what it can not return, even one execution of the wrong person is too many and it has happened more than once already. I already disagree with execution on those grounds and find this botched execution disgusting.

Interesting post from someone with this signature.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The condemned man had the benefit of YEARS of a trial and representation by attorneys. This is a system put into place by men in government so as to afford the criminal "due process." What due process was afforded his victims? What attorney was there at the crime scene to advise the perpetrators or defend the victim?

The Bible also teaches that we are to follow the laws of government, but do you really think that God will tolerate those that have knowingly and willingly aborted unborn babies? Was there any "legal representation" and appeals process available to them?

Perhaps we should go back to firing squads and hanging.

Oh, and for those "chastising" Christians, how do you know the people to whom you are writing are Christians?

Yeah cause the other systems put in place by men in government are so great.

You have missed something. Men of conscience in government passed laws that provided for the "due process" and representation of criminals so that lynch mobs don't come into play. Would you then prefer vigilante law? The criminal, if caught and tried has all kinds of benefits, including free attorneys if they are indigent or can't afford to hire one. Perhaps we should just go back to frontier justice; have a trial and if found guilty, hang them the next day.

Oh, and it is those on the left that believe that government NEEDS to do more, especially with social programs, even though those programs have failed in most, if not all cases. The left's compassion is such a wonderful thing, so long as the citizenry is forced to pay for that compassion instead of the left themselves. Where is the compassion for the victims of crime and abortion (a legal crime afforded by a majority of 9 justices?) That is even less of a "jury of peers" as compared to a criminal trial.

So, in this case, as a benefit for the criminals, this "part" of government does seem to be a good deal. Unless you think vigilante justice would be better, how about putting them on trial, allow a limited period of time for appeals, and then execute them if their appeals fail. At least, I'm not asking to bring back the electric chair.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the biblical standard involves eyewitnesses, with the understanding that bearing false witness was punishable by death.

as a pro-life christian, i abhor the death penalty, abortion as birth control, and any other form of murder.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The condemned man had the benefit of YEARS of a trial and representation by attorneys. This is a system put into place by men in government so as to afford the criminal "due process." What due process was afforded his victims? What attorney was there at the crime scene to advise the perpetrators or defend the victim?

The Bible also teaches that we are to follow the laws of government, but do you really think that God will tolerate those that have knowingly and willingly aborted unborn babies? Was there any "legal representation" and appeals process available to them?

Perhaps we should go back to firing squads and hanging.

Oh, and for those "chastising" Christians, how do you know the people to whom you are writing are Christians?

These men had the same years and opportunities in this system you place so much faith in and were found to be wrongfully convicted and murdered by the state, the system does not work. You can not insure that you will never kill the wrong person. The death penalty is abhorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom