Oklahoma Gun sales Question/scary story .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legally it means NOTHING unless a notary present - it's just a piece of paper that makes you feel good: false security is the worst kind.

1. If you think the buyer shouldn't buy the weapon - DO NOT SELL IT
2. If you are paranoid and want a paper trail - get it 4473ed
3. Otherwise - obey the law: if you believe the buyer is legit - shake the hand after taking the cash.

GF is a notary:D

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If posting items for sale,you should make it very clear that you require a bill of sale. It would really suck to drive halfway across the state to make a deal,just to have someone tell you where to put your bill of sale.

But unless someone is planning something less than honorable why would they not sign a receipt which they are getting a copy of too? I have never really even thought of adding such a disclaimer?

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But unless someone is planning something less than honorable why would they not sign a receipt which they are getting a copy of too? I have never really even thought of adding such a disclaimer?

What if the person selling is " less than honorable"? After they see your dl they know where you live!

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I do a 4473 I sign it,otherwise no. There are several people here that wouldn't sign anything but a 4473,so making it clear in your add would be beneficial for everyone.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and so the slipperly slope slides...

the burden of proof lies on the FBI to prove you had some involvement, not in your ability to alibi yourself. as much as i'd like to help LEO clear me as a suspect, i'd also be very careful about what i said. i'd give them whatever information I remembered about selling it, thank them for their questions and let them know if they have any additional ones to please submit them through my attorney.

for all those suggesting that this could be avoided with a impromptu bill of sale... try again. what difference does a bunch of handscratching make? if they believe you're a suspect, then your peice of paper won't be the thing that clears you.

i firmly believe that this is one of the ways that the gun haters will continually try to push as a reason to convince the public to give in and allow only registered documented transfers of firearms, then the ammo serialization will be the next wall that the gun haters will want to tear down. then are you going to want only registered and documented transfers of serialized ammo? no handloading?

there is no law requiring a bill of sale and therefore i see no need for one. why is it that every time "something happens" everyone is quick to make sure it "doesn't happen again". you know... sometimes, things just happen and there isn't anything logical or acceptable that can be done to prevent them. don't go throwing away your liberties the first chance you get just to see how far they will skip...

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i wanted to fill out paperwork i would go to Outdoor America. and i have had a firearm that i sold to someone used in the commission of a crime. I'm sure it changed hands several times, but the point is i was never treated like a suspect. Did they ask me about it? Yes...but not only did they come and ask me about it, but they returned it to me after the trial (3 years later) because i never kept records and didnt know who i sold it to. I never felt as if i was a suspect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom