Oklahoma Highway Patrol next duty gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say so and it's really no secret, given it's use for what ~25 years now? Seems the SEALS liked them or still like them?

Personally, I never had a problem with any of them, except I couldn't get used to the bore axis and the DA/SA transition versus low bore axis and striker fired guns. Problem is, I lost confidence when my G22 would run right with a WML and my wifes G30SF had FTRB issues.

In the end, people that believe Glock to be the end all be all of reliability are delusional. Don't get me wrong I drank the koolaid too, but there are just too many better platforms out there IMHO in terms of ergos, trigger, sights etc etc now.

To be quite honest, this is the first place I've seen poo-poo that series. Although the info given is vague at best IMO.

Yeah I have drank it...I admit it...but you are my age and you know how cool they were when they came out...for the money I just never got over it I guess...I'd take a P226 if you have one to spare though :)

Funny, but in over 25 years of following firearms, that's pretty much the opposite of what I've seen, read, and heard.

As far as needing to be dripping with oil, that description doesn't match my P226, or the other P226es and P220s I've owned over the years. I'm notoriously bad about cleaning that poor pistol, and it has never failed me, aside from the time I was trying to see what would cause it to fail to function. YMMV.

I would also recommend looking into the M11 trials and seeing how the P228 did in the reliability testing.

Wow the P220...what a nice gun...anyway, I'm not meaning to trash them...I just have it in-grained that the sigs need to run wet and as we know the glocks generally cost less. I'm not a sig pistol expert and I will yield to those of you who've had more time behind the grip of one. But the 3rd gen glock has proven itself over a long time; and the glock in general is what almost 30yrs old now? BB share the cost info so that makes more sense to me now.

Okey-Dokey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few links regarding SIG's failure with the ATF:

A quote from the first link: Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III. In this regard, Sig Sauer argues that reliability was only one of a number of elements to be considered in the live-fire assessment, and notes that reliability was not identified as having any more importance than the other elements.[11] We disagree.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-unsafe-dutch-police-pistol-drama-continues/

Ron Cohen needs to be fired from SIG.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would this word exchange between gabe and GC ever have happened in person?

I've done several deals with GC, both at Outdoor America and personally including a pleasant trip with him and BB to OKCGC which led me to want a membership out there, and would have had no problem telling him face to face that his price was fair but high for a working gun but not so much for a basket case gun. Would also have no issue letting him know that waiting to discuss reliability issues until the FTF meeting happens would be an absolute deal breaker for a lot, my self included. Not sure where he came up with the entitled, living in parents basement comment since I've lived on my own since 17. Who knows, maybe he misremembered a convo we had? Either way, I hope that there are no hard feelings and that he genuinely will enjoy a well-deserved retirement.

On topic:
Bob, where did you rent the new Sig?

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he left the d off of shared. Obviously it was less than $400.

Wiltshire. They have the compact in FDE. When I was returning it there was another customer waiting on me to get done for his turn. Interest must be high. The range guy had a compact with the small compact grip module as his side arm. Very nice.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the head of the Massachusetts State Police helicopter department in my class a few years back. We talked guns a lot during breaks, etc. He told me they had gone to .40 cal (I think Sigs) because killing wounded deer was not a sure thing with a bullet to the head. Shot had to be perpendicular or the bullet sometimes bounced off. I am a bit surprised the OHP has selected this round, and really am not current enough to have an opinion on which pistol they should want.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few links regarding SIG's failure with the ATF:

A quote from the first link: Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III. In this regard, Sig Sauer argues that reliability was only one of a number of elements to be considered in the live-fire assessment, and notes that reliability was not identified as having any more importance than the other elements.[11] We disagree.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-unsafe-dutch-police-pistol-drama-continues/

Ron Cohen needs to be fired from SIG.
I realize that the P250 had problems early on, but using them to tar the P320 seems a bit of a stretch. The ATF evaluation of the P250 occurred before SIG made changes to the pistol that improved it. The Gen 2 P250 is a much better pistol and if you can get over the DAO trigger pull hurdle; it is a nice, inexpensive pistol with loads of interchangeability. As for the Dutch national police issue, have you taken a look at the specs for the ammunition they want to use for the gun? The bullet weight is 94 grains... 94! According to The Firearms Blog,

Ballistically it is the same as 9mm Luger / Parabellum. It is given a separate designation because some firearms, such as the MP5, will need to be modified to function correctly with the lighter bullet.

So, it appears to me it's not the gun that's at fault, it's the requirement to use a specific type of ammunition designed not for stopping power but to fit an agenda.

I think you'll find that the P320 is going to be more than up to the challenge of the OHP. As a side benefit, if they ever decide to return to the .40 S&W, or even go to the .45 ACP, they don't have to completely replace the gun--just the necessary components. I'd almost wager it would be more cost effective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom