Oklahoma Highway Patrol next duty gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why did they not go glock or m&p? Both have know track records for reliability in the LE community. Not bashing the sig. It MIGHT be a better pistol.
One reason the OHP went with the P320 over any Glock is that you can tear down the P320 without having to pull the trigger. It's modularity will also allow troopers to convert the gun from a full size to a carry size, compact size or subcompact size by simply moving the fire control unit from one grip module to the other and mounting the corresponding slide.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Sig you're talking about but the 226 I have won't run reliably unless it's almost dripping oil. I can run a Glock dry and still trust it to go bang.

This is what I'm sayin'...glock is for max reliability under any condition...sig is like a 1911...fine piece of machinery but needs maintenance to ensure reliability. Sig rifles are the opposite...they are basically glock rifles LOL

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's accurate.... Chevy's tend to need a few aftermarket parts to keep them on the road.

BTW, I'm typically no Sig fan but their P22x series is known for their reliability. They and several other handguns will shoot just fine without oil.

Oh and I would not plan to go without oil for the record...and the 226 is one of the nicest, best feeling pistols ever...I just have seen a lot of complaints when compared to glock on reliability. But I'm not going to say you are a liar...I believe you but is this consistent with all of them as compared to glock?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and I would not plan to go without oil for the record...and the 226 is one of the nicest, best feeling pistols ever...I just have seen a lot of complaints when compared to glock on reliability. But I'm not going to say you are a liar...I believe you but is this consistent with all of them as compared to glock?

I would say so and it's really no secret, given it's use for what ~25 years now? Seems the SEALS liked them or still like them?

Personally, I never had a problem with any of them, except I couldn't get used to the bore axis and the DA/SA transition versus low bore axis and striker fired guns. Problem is, I lost confidence when my G22 would run right with a WML and my wifes G30SF had FTRB issues.

In the end, people that believe Glock to be the end all be all of reliability are delusional. Don't get me wrong I drank the koolaid too, but there are just too many better platforms out there IMHO in terms of ergos, trigger, sights etc etc now.

To be quite honest, this is the first place I've seen poo-poo that series. Although the info given is vague at best IMO.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have seen a lot of complaints when compared to glock on reliability.
Funny, but in over 25 years of following firearms, that's pretty much the opposite of what I've seen, read, and heard.

As far as needing to be dripping with oil, that description doesn't match my P226, or the other P226es and P220s I've owned over the years. I'm notoriously bad about cleaning that poor pistol, and it has never failed me, aside from the time I was trying to see what would cause it to fail to function. YMMV.

I would also recommend looking into the M11 trials and seeing how the P228 did in the reliability testing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I went to a class and one of the instructors was a ex-Delta Force Team leader. My son was shooting a German P6. It balked and he pulled us aside and said "lets go fix that gun". We went into the training room and he field stripped it and proceeded to lube the living crap out of it and gave us a little 10 minute Sig maintenance seminar at the same time. Pretty much just as GC describes his, he reassembled it and wiped all of the drips and runs off the exterior and said it needed lube about every 150 rounds or so at the most. The Sig platform was his favorite for "business purposes" and was his primary carry gun for a few years, so I'm thinking he probably knew a little of what he spoke. Had no more issues with that gun as long as it was lubed. How many gunfights go over 100 pistol rounds anyway?

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rented and shot it today. It's a fine gun. Excellent trigger. Points well. If I had to choose between it and m&p, xdm, Glock or vp9 i would choose it

But I'm not selling my Glock

Latest posts

Top Bottom