1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Oklahoma shooting laws?

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by Grendelshooter, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Grendelshooter

Grendelshooter Marksman

Where can I go to find shoot zones and/or regulations pertaining to where one can legally shoot on their own property?

Where were from in CA you absolutely cannot shoot in city limits no matter how open your land might be. Even if you live on acreage in the county, outside of city limits, it’s fairly heavily regulated. You will likely get a visit from the local deputy.

Looking for a homestead here one of the primary things we’re looking for is to have a range on our own land, I just want to make sure that I will be able to shoot on the land we buy.

Thanks all!

fatcpa likes this.
  2. Uncle TK

Uncle TK Sharpshooter

If the property is in the City Limits of a town or city then that City that makes the regulations. (Normally No Shooting)
    If a rural area it depends on property size, neighbors, noise level backstop and Etc.

The city limits of the following butt up to each other Oklahoma City - Yukon - Piedmont - El Reno - Mustang - Banner - Edmond - Moore - Bethany - War Acres - and Etc.

Oklahoma County is almost 100% City Limits

3. rickm

rickm Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    As stated above check the city ordances( most times you can find them online from each city's website) as far as the county it varies from county to county but i would check with the county LEO to be certain stating your location cause if there are other dwellings in the area you have to make sure your far enough away from them, if nothing else visit with the neighbors in the area and ask questions to get their input on the issue you will find some will be ok with it and others no matter whether it is legal they will complain about it.

4. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

AFAIK, there are no state- or county-level laws in Oklahoma regarding target shooting on your own property (hunting and self defense are another matter), just city ordinances. And, as Uncle TK noted, pretty much everything from Norman to Edmond in central Oklahoma is inside some city's limits because a bunch of cities went on an annexation tear back in the '60s (mostly, I think, to block Oklahoma City's expansion).

rswink likes this.
  5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I can't point you to a source, but I will say your no longer in a communist state..!! There are a handful of us here that have their own range.. No city limits and the farther out the better.. 1 fellow here is in a community and he's had some trouble.. I had the sheriff's out and they laughed at the complaint of the neighbor.. Proper construction and you should be sitting pretty, Safety is #1.. Your hip to the world today so just cover your 6 and deal with nervous nellies as they come.. These berms are constructed like a C to capture any spall.. I would not talk to future neighbors, you'd be the new kid and they owe you nothing.. In my area shooting is regular and almost contagious, like keeping up with the Jones.. You'll need a tractor with FEL or a wad of cash to accomplish this.. The wad of cash would make a big dent on a tractor which ya need to be a country boy anyway.. Good Luck brother.. 20190721_165703.jpg

6. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Some guys have all the luxuries. I don't have a fancy cheater stick on my loader like you. I just have to go by eye and feel to know if my bucket is level.

blake711 likes this.
  7. 264killer

264killer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I took mine off.

Cowcatcher likes this.
  8. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Hardy har har there cowboy.. I pay no attention to it and since I haven't broke it or bent it it's there until then..

Cowcatcher likes this.
  9. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Sharpshooter

I live about 11 miles south of Blanchard, and never had a issue shooting, around here its normal to hear pops going off around us. Almost kind of like music to your ears, at least knowing if something happens somebody has you covered.

DRC458 likes this.
  10. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I was building a house north of Porter in Wagoner County. When visiting the county for a house permit they told me I could not build a range on my land after asking. So, I didn’t. I had them dig a whole in the side of a hill to pull out the pad dirt for the house. I just occasionally shoot into that hole in the hill.

druryj, blake711 and DRC458 like this.