Oklahoma to launch new public hunting/fishing lands program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a good program. Several states including Nebraska have programs similar to this and it really helps public land hunters with more options. Wyoming has PLPW program which contains some awesome properties for all types of big and small game.

Give it a few years, you guys will see all your worries are for not. Overall this program is a major win for hunters in OK.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the walk in areas in KS set up as large tracts or smaller (160 or less)? .

It is all sizes of areas. Some are 40 acres (or less) some are quite large and connect in the corners to other areas. I go up there every year to Turkey hunt and have never seen another hunter, maybe a vehicle every now and then but have never come across anyone in the field and off the top of my head I cannot even remember ever hearing another shot. Nebraska has the same walk in areas too. The area might only be 40 acres but that does not mean game will not move through there all the time. A lot of people will avoid the small areas just because they are small, when in fact it might be a corn field surrounded by big woods.

I see it being real beneficial to quail, pheasant, and turkey hunters, and even fishing. I think it just depends on the mindset of the deer hunters. You have to remember it is not "your spot/area".

You can go online and see the walk in areas for Kansas, will give you an idea of what it looks like. We turkey hunt up in that county by that place that has that stuff that makes those things.....

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other day why Oklahoma didn't have some of the walk-in type areas Kansas and Nebraska had available. With all the people willing to travel out of state and spend the money on their system it really makes you wonder why we haven't cashed in on this. Hopefully it doesn't backfire like the folks above have pointed out with corporate padding, rampant trespassing and trashing of the areas opened by idiots that don't don't have any respect for our natural resources.

Latest posts

Top Bottom