Oklahoma to launch new public hunting/fishing lands program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I sure wouldn't mind if the state used some of this federal grant money to help out with this:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/crow-creek-cleanup-effort-focuses-on-community-involvement/article_c4ef63f9-d857-50dd-8210-020442b07a2a.html

Water, surprisingly clear but essentially lifeless, drains from a sea of Tulsa homes, streets and businesses to create Crow Creek.

The stream has been polluted, littered and abused for years. In 2012, it was added to a list of “impaired” waters under Federal Clean Water Act guidelines.

But an effort is underway to resuscitate the creek to make it “fishable and swimmable.”

The watershed encompasses hundreds of homes and businesses from Brookside north to 15th Street and Lewis Avenue just east of downtown, east to 21st Street and Harvard Avenue, south to 24th Street and Lewis and west to the Arkansas River.

Stormwater drainage pipes and culverts form the headwaters of the creek as they pool into the exposed portion, which flows from a spot near Birmingham Avenue and 26th Place to where it enters the Arkansas River just south of 31st Street.

Barnard Elementary, which once stood at 17th and Lewis, burned in an explosive fire in September 2012 that injured several firefighters. Flame-retardant foam used to fight the fire poured into the creek.
“There was a major fish kill,” Brannin said.

Fish have not re-populated the creek in part because it is cut off from the Arkansas River. Thick, square, concrete culverts under bridges at Peoria Avenue and at Riverside Drive essentially form dams so fish can’t swim upstream.

In later phases of A Gathering Place construction, the Riverside bridge will be replaced with a span bridge, and the creek side will be rehabilitated.

“That’s like a dream,” Brannin said. “We are kicking around some ideas for Peoria, too, but nothing on that scale.”

The meeting will be 5:15-6:15 p.m. Monday at Brookside Baptist Church, 3615 S. Peoria Ave. Cheadle asks that people register in advance so organizers know how many are coming. Contact her at [email protected] or 918-398-1804

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This type of program has worked wonders for our neighbors to the north. By no means would I be against adding more public land access.

Are the walk in areas in KS set up as large tracts or smaller (160 or less)? Besides Dahl and Major Co WMA's, all of our public hunting are pretty vast areas to wander in as you know probably better than any of us, just wondering how the smaller enrolled areas will work out. I see a lot of OKC, Tulsa and Wichita guys who have no problems with trespassing as it is where there is no walk in or PH around........I foresee a whole lot of "Oh, I thought I was in the walk in area".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The COE at Kaw puts in some food plots. Typically wheat only. They get them in during September. I've been out there and seen where they have been working ground. On the North end of the lake, the tillable areas are leased out to area farmers. When they harvest, they are supposed to leave some crop for wildlife and they usually do. Problem is that its in a flood prone zone. There has been several years where the farmers have totally lost their crop, and I don't know if they can get insurance farming on public ground.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For years, each region has had their own equipment to farm with. Usually enough equipment to farm on a small basis. 12' discs and 10' planters.

To the comment above Bassins. It has to be understood that they don't sit on their thumbs all year waiting to plant food plots. This time of year, quail are being trapped and surveyed. Dove are being trapped, spot light counts being conducted, public access is being maintained and prepped for the hunting season. AND food plots are being prepared and planted across several WMA's by a single person. Each technician in the state averages something like 35,000 acres of land to keep up with and several hundred acres of food plots that are not all one tract of land. Do the math and figure out how much time it takes to work up and plant 100 acres, let alone 200 acres of ground using a 12' disc and a 10' drill. Not to mention the fact that the ODWC employees don't collect a dollar if overtime pay.

To knock how bad they manage is just a slap in the face. The fact that a man can feasibly try to take a mature deer off if public ground in Oklahoma, is the proof that they are doing something right.

So instead of moaning about how bad it sucks, take a minute and be happy that we aren't in Texas where the only way you hunt public ground is by draw!

So your saying each WMA doesn't have their own equipment? Like I said above their hands may be tied and that's way I don't see good food plots on wma. And has far as they how they are taken care of. The two most important things for wildlife is water and food that being said it should be put ahead of counting birds ect... And my remark saying they don't earn their money I take that back wrong wording because I know they don't get paid much and am sure if you added the hours up they most likely working some free hours. Are you saying that the guys that work & live on wma don't put in their own food plots. Are you saying one guy goes around to different wma a puts in food plots. This is what I don't understand I have never seen anything other then wheat or rye planted in the fall a couple places did see a little milo in summer. Why don't they plant some kind of legumes in spring time on part of it and the milo and wheat on rest. I do think we are blessed with some great public hunting I just think wma could be better manage but I don't know where to point the finger at. But hey I am very glad we got the money and hopeful good things will come of it.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did something like this years ago for dove season. Most of the land had fair hunting but it got swamped by idiots. Rangers seemed to hate it. Spent to much time dealing with the small tracts of land, people trashing it out ect. Not to mention all the tresspassers for miles around saying oops, thought i was on public.
After i caught bird shot twice in three days, i stopped using them.
I love our public lands, rarely hunt any private lands. Hope this works well, we're very lucky to have the access we have, and the staff thst manages them!

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer24/7. Let's take a look at Waurika WMA Ft Cobb, Mountain Park, The wetland at Lake Ellsworth, Gist WMA, Grady County WMA, and Washita County WMA.

All of the above are operated by one technician and one biologist. No, there is not equipment for each WMA. Equipment has to be hauled from WMA to WMA. Each WMA has some equipment that stays there but tractors for the most part are moved around.

Ft Cobb, Waurika, and Mt Park all have dedicated wetlands as well.

How about Packsaddle, Ellis County WMA, and Black Kettle WMA. Two techs and one Biologist. To cover 55,000 acres. Not much equipment at black kettle. So it has to be roaded or hauled around that WMA.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what the employees of the state have to work with.

And in order to know what there is, the science of management still has to be applied. Surveys and trapping are needed to know what there is and where things are going.

I understand your desire but the truth is that food plots are not critical to a deers nutrition. Food plots are mainly planted to make hunters happy. Deer will do perfectly fine without them.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could be good, especially if they'll gain access to more land near the highly populated areas to decrease hunting pressure on the lands that already exist. I do feel for the people on the land around the new walk in areas as it'll make their hunting that much more difficult.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Officials with the Department say the details of lease agreements and plans for the program are in the early stages of development, but special emphasis may be placed on lands in close proximity to populated metro areas as well as on species for which there are few existing public opportunities.

According to Russ Horton, wildlife research supervisor for the Wildlife Department, the agency anticipates making access to new properties available to sportsmen by as early as fall 2016.

http://www.oklahomaconservation.org/wildlife-department-developing-walk-in-hunting-and-fishing-program/

It' be awesome if they could convince the landowners south of Lake Bixoma to participate in this program. That area seems like it would be a prime candidate for this program.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So instead of moaning about how bad it sucks, take a minute and be happy that we aren't in Texas where the only way you hunt public ground is by draw!

For the record, yes, there are some public hunts that you have to be drawn for, but most of the public land in TX is accessible with just a $48 permit. There are some MONSTER bucks killed on public land every year in my area of east Texas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom