OkShooters Connection Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would think that the site would be close to making the leap while as still free but make a profit off of advertising like the other large firearms sites. If I do a search on a firearms question usually the best answer will be from this site, followed up with good answers from thehighroad, nodak, or pafoa. There are lots of eyes nationally reading old threads from here.

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would think that the site would be close to making the leap while as still free but make a profit off of advertising like the other large firearms sites. If I do a search on a firearms question usually the best answer will be from this site, followed up with good answers from thehighroad, nodak, or pafoa. There are lots of eyes nationally reading old threads from here.

yep..lots of great, useful information here.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At another forum I belong to for musicians- The Gear Page- you can post in the forums for free or donate at any time, but they only charge to post in their classifieds. Just a thought.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks again for hosting this site!!!!

it's easy to take things for granted... some (like me) need reminding it's not free to host... paypal will be sent shortly to help.

if you are taking suggestions .... below are some of the things CandlePower Forums (129k members) has doing for years.

1. announce downtime for scheduled maintenance, etc, so folks don't get so uptight.

2. change settings on software to limit number of unique quarries against the database to XX per two minutes or what ever.

3. utilize a Google search box option to off load unique quarries against database. this will off load an enormous burden from your database.

4. provide a donation logo by username to ID folks that has sent paypal donations to keep site up and running (expires annually). folks need reminding in a nice way, site is free, but hosting is not.

Charging for classifies would be a excellent way to validate someone's intentions, ID and raise funds to pay for hosting. Consider something simple like Knifeforums by charging a flat $25 per year. payable via paypal or credit card or USPS MO to limit handling.

Don't know about anyone else... I'd be glad to pay $25 per year for the right to post an unlimited number of ads in the best classifies in Oklahoma for firearms.

If you're curious, the hosting for the site runs me about $1200 per year on a VPS server and we are a very busy site, nearing 40 million hits in December. We run roughly about 200-250 gig per month bandwith which is quite a bit for a site that only serves text pages. We don't have file downloads here.

Obviously the downtime is an inconvenience and I do apologize for that.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the admin is paying $1200 out of pocket each year and spending 50-100 hours a year maintaining the site it's not 'free'. It's a gift someone has payed for with time, sweat and treasure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom