Old Ammo Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 600 rounds of .38 special wad cutters that I got from my step dad (OKC PD retired).

They are reloads from the OKC PD range from 1968 - 1969 era.

(side bar trivia - the rounds belonged to my Mom who shot competively for the OKC PD in the 60's, before they had female police officers, she was a secretary there, but was a member on the police shooting team)

I have shot 6 rounds and they seem to produce a white smoke, more smoke than new factory loads. They all went bang, and projectile to the target.

Question is: Do any of you who reload, and ammo experts, feel like this ammo is still OK to shoot?

It has always been stored in climate controlled areas.

I thought I would shoot it to work on trigger control, plus it was free.

Just want to be safe and not damage a gun.

Let me know what you think.

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not saying that you should use them, but I would feel confident if they are mild and they were stored in a controlled environment. If you've got a chronograph you may want to check the velocity. That is a useful indicator( but not the only) to determine safety.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wadcutters are light loads. The police reloaders were little motorized factories that gave very consistent results in large volume. The white smoke? I don't have a clue, but suspect it is a powder that was cheap even at the time. I would clean well after every trip.

I would not be afraid of these in a solid revolver. The brass might be getting a little brittle, so annealing or tossing might be in order. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you'll be okay also. Guns back then weren't very stout, so anything used for them should be good to go in a modern revolver.

That is a good statment. A buddy was shooting a .357 S&W revolver out at the range last week. I thought he had it loaded with black powder with as much smoke as he was putting out. He reloads, and said the powder he had, has a reputation for doing that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom