Old School Case Lube ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wool oil is lanolin. U need pure liquid lanolin. The cheapest places are online but it can be found locally at akins.

I use 4oz lanolin per 20 or so oz 90%+ pure alcohol and LOVE it

Reaction score
I use a 1/2 tube of LEE Resizing Lubricant mixed with 85% or 95% alcohol. Its a step up from 75% rubbing alcohol in a mist bottle, do it in the garage and its usually dry enough to load in about 3-5 minutes. Sometimes I do alot at a time and just throw into a bucket, they seem to work just as good as new sprayed ones.

Economical and last forever.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wool oil is lanolin. U need pure liquid lanolin. The cheapest places are online but it can be found locally at akins.

I use 4oz lanolin per 20 or so oz 90%+ pure alcohol and LOVE it

I use this also for sizing bulk rifle cases. Just with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Saw several people online saying the lanolin may/will contaminate the powder if not removed from the case. Simple fix is to just tumble the cases to remove the lube after sizing.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Tyromeo55 I was in midway site looking for a spray case lube and one of the reveiws said he also used lanolin ,but he didn't said how he mixed it. What type of alcohol do you use ?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Tyromeo55 I was in midway site looking for a spray case lube and one of the reveiws said he also used lanolin ,but he didn't said how he mixed it. What type of alcohol do you use ?

something close to 99% Isopropyl (sp?) Alcohol. It is kinda hard to find but I think I picked it up at CVS for under 2 bucks for a huge bottle.
I will say that people seem to have certain mix ratio's that work best for them. You might toy around with the mix a little to see what works best for you. Just dont make it so strong that it cakes up in the die and you get issues. A little lanolin goes a LONG way. Also, It works very well on dry elbows (just the lanolin)!

ETA: The lanolin dissolves in the alcohol better when they are both warmed prior. The best and safest way to do that is by placing the bottles in very warm water NOT on the stove or around an open flame

Latest posts

Top Bottom