One-piece cleaning rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...Burnt powder makes carbide which is harder than the steel of the barrel and enters the barrel behind the bullet. These particles of carbide can stick to the rod during cleaning and can be very abrasive to the bore of the rifle as you scrub the particalized rod through the barrel.

But you'd think the carbide you speak of would be fire lapped into the bore on successive shots if that were the case. Most barrel erosion comes from the high pressure of the round just in front of the chamber and failing to use a bore/chamber guide, and/or incorrect sized cleaning rod (flexing).

I seriously doubt much scratching or erosion comes from particulate matter collected on the rod. Yet again, I say it's a good idea to clean the rod frequently. JMO, YMMV :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question - what is the advantage of a one-piece rod over a two or three piece take-down style (aside from flexing)?

I have used a 3-piece brass rod in mine and don't honestly see any issues when using it properly (I only pull it - never push).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It introduces additional points in which debris or rod damage could damage the bore. Also, they have a tendency to unscrew, which creates additional flex points.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It introduces additional points in which debris or rod damage could damage the bore. Also, they have a tendency to unscrew, which creates additional flex points.

This, and I have broken more than a few multi piece, since getting my hands on a quality one piece, I have never had the problem.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are you breaking the multi-piece rods? And how are they coming apart or flexing if you're only pulling (are you supposed to push and pull)?

Dunno, with quality barrels I was always taught push from chamber. I have owned several rifles and this has never been a problem. But on my 700 7mmRUM, problem. Not an issue with oversized brush, as I have used the brush on other 7mm calibers before.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On accurate rifles that can't be cleaned from the chamber end, it's best to guide the rod down the bore without stiff attachments and then "pull through" only with tension on the rod. If you can clean from the rear, use a bore guide to minimize flexing of the rod.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I push from the breech end on any gun I can, then, of course, pull to get it back out. The reason I started this thread is I was sick and tired of my three-piece unscrewing during use. It was very annoying. Then my last trip to the range, a patch got doubled up as it went past the chamber. Usually a firm push and it will pass on through, but this time the rod snapped. Seems like a great time to get a one-piece and be done with it. I'll still take a three-piece to the range, but I'll use the one-piece for most of my cleaning duties. Now I just need to decide what kind. Does anyone around OKC sell Dewey rods and have a good selection?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On accurate rifles that can't be cleaned from the chamber end, it's best to guide the rod down the bore without stiff attachments and then "pull through" only with tension on the rod. If you can clean from the rear, use a bore guide to minimize flexing of the rod.

Kinda goes along with what I was taught,... My high dollar rifles are all bolt action, so starting from the chamber is not an issue.

I push from the breech end on any gun I can, then, of course, pull to get it back out. The reason I started this thread is I was sick and tired of my three-piece unscrewing during use. It was very annoying. Then my last trip to the range, a patch got doubled up as it went past the chamber. Usually a firm push and it will pass on through, but this time the rod snapped. Seems like a great time to get a one-piece and be done with it. I'll still take a three-piece to the range, but I'll use the one-piece for most of my cleaning duties. Now I just need to decide what kind. Does anyone around OKC sell Dewey rods and have a good selection?

Completely agree, it is why I started using them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom