Open Carrier Robbed and disarmed at gunpoint.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea... OC will keep the bad men away and deter criminals...
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html?lc=Smart#.UjmWCMoAYG4.facebook

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.Neighbors say they knew he was always armed."It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint."I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this."So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good thing it wasn't a Taurus, or the thief would have bludgeoned the open carrier to death. Like with a heavy paperweight...

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea... CC gives you the element of surprise...

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/18656956/2012/05/30/man-robbed-with-own-handgun-in-mpls-mugging

MINNEAPOLIS -

Police say a Minneapolis man was walking home May 21 when he was blind-sided by a robber and pushed up against a parked car before his assailant took the victim's gun –- which he had a conceal and carry permit for -– and placed it against his head.
The 23-year-old said he wrestled with his attacker as he reached for his weapon, but was overpowered.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical case of carrying without the training and skill to back it up. Conceal carry classes issue permits but that doesn't mean squat. The people get their permits and because of apathy or of the lack of training classes and the cost of those classes if you could find one that's as far as they go. I'll bet this would never have happened if the guy was actually proficient with his gun and practiced good situational awareness but most people just get their permit, mount up their iron and go from there thinking that's all that's needed. He just found out having a gun is only a part of it but since he's blaming open carry and not himself, he's too stupid to carry safely and successfully.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Very well could have been a Taurus that was snatched from the OC guy. After all, they struggled, and it did not shoot...

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens to cops occasionally too. M'Kay? Sometimes it even happens to soldiers during war. Oh my!

Yessir, it does. And is EXACTLY why a lot of cops will only carry concealed unless on duty ... (My cop is one of those guys. He wouldn't open carry off duty even if the law allowed it ... LOL)

I am amazed at the number of folks who fail to learn from other folks' experiences ... I'm not "for" or "against" anything. I'm just kinda like that crusty old yukonjack feller ... I'm pretty sure it looks like a bad idea ... but ... to each their own ... You OC guys have the "right" now, so have at it. God forbid I ever have to pull my concealed gun, but if I do, I certainly hope there is one of you guys there to distract the bad guy(s)/gal(s) while I find some cover ... :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom