Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^
1647 is bad law. Period.

It falls under the category of Common Sense gun control and we all know where bowing to that evil concept has gotten us.

The 2nd doesn't say "that the right to keep and bear arms - if the bearer has a reasonable fear of bodily harm - shall not be infringed".

Gun owners have bent over backward for too many years in an effort to keep from treading on the sensibilities of the sheep all in the name of reasonableness and common sense gun control. Why should we be the ones to give up rights because they faint at the sight of a gun? They're the ones with the problem not us yet we're the ones the law makers go after. Why is that?

The truth is, we have a lot of bad laws, including our Self Defense Act. But do you have a concealed carry permit?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
The truth is, we have a lot of bad laws, including our Self Defense Act. But do you have a concealed carry permit?

Just because you conform to the law doesn't mean that you agree with the law.

It's a measure of the risk you expose yourself to if you break a particular law, whether its paying a tax, getting charged with a misdemeanor, or getting charged with a felony or pseudo-felony. Sometimes, likely use of officer discretion and your location come into play depending on the offense.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because you conform to the law doesn't mean that you agree with the law.

It's a measure of the risk you expose yourself to if you break a particular law, whether its paying a tax, getting charged with a misdemeanor, or getting charged with a felony or pseudo-felony. Sometimes, likely use of officer discretion and your location come into play depending on the offense.

I don't think you understood my point. My point was that someone was complaining that 1647 was a bad law, and I agree as it was written. My original point was that if language was changed or added as OK2A is pushing for, it might be a decent law in respect to what we currently have.

The reply to me was that any law that granted us permission to carry was a bad law. Not many on this board disagree with that but my point is that for the same reason the SDA is a bad law because it grants us permission through a licensing process to carry a firearm concealed and then only concealed. If you look at them both, SDA and 1647 modified how I was proposing, 1647 would then be a less restrictive law requiring no license and not restricting a firearm to be carried concealed.

I admit I am not a lawyer and my wording might not be sufficient, but I think there could be hope for 1647 as an improvement to our current state IF the proper language can be added and passed but that is a long road, I admit.

Sometimes we have to realize where are not going to get from point A to point Z in one stroke of the pen. Incrementalism is sometimes what we have to live with in the political world.

Last edited:

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes we have to realize where are not going to get from point A to point Z in one stroke of the pen. Incrementalism is sometimes what we have to live with in the political world.

Thats something the left realized a long time ago, we haven't and that is what has caused and continues to cause all of the infighting and it ultimately helps them get the outcome they desire.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any kind of time limit on how long Sb129 can sit in committee before it is dead?
Yes I think it's mid April but I'm sure VM can answer that more accurately.
According to sen. Russell it's not just sitting there, they are negotiating on wording and details and he's very optimistic it will make it out of committe.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any kind of time limit on how long Sb129 can sit in committee before it is dead?

Must be out of committee by April 14th.

Must be heard on the floor by April 28th.

Must pass the Senate again by May 27th officially, but more like May 20th realistically... budget, reapportionment, and all that end of the year jazz.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After talking to members of the Oklahoma Rifle Association, I think we need to let this bill die and go back to the drawing board. The board feels that passing this bill would like gunowners look like fools which not what we want to do with the general public.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After talking to members of the Oklahoma Rifle Association, I think we need to let this bill die and go back to the drawing board. The board feels that passing this bill would like gunowners look like fools which not what we want to do with the general public.

Actually, it would make those who support(ed) HB1647 as originally written look like the fools they are. And it would especially make Rep. Reynolds remarks in the floor debate about this being the bill that gun owners are asking for paint him as a fool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom