Opinion on 10/22 purchase....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have a question about which 10/22 to purchase. My intentions for the rifle is to use it as a plinker and for my son and I hunt squirrel and the like. Just a fun gun that is reliable.

Option one: A gun shop has a real nice one that has a "low" serial number of 35,xxx and was manufactured in 1966 or so. It has a very nice stock with custom checkering. Overall a very nice gun with clean barrel. Asking $209.00 from the gun shop.

Second option: is to purchase a new rifle from BPS using $200 worth of gift cards and pay an additional $30-$70 cash for a standard or stainless model.

What would you do? Is the first option a big deal with the lower serial number? After reading the 10/22 thread I have a feeling I would want to mod the rifle down the line.

BTW, when I was at another gun shop last weekendnthey had a 10/22 with a serial number that was 4xx made in 1964, iirc, and they were asking $550.:slap::scratch:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hands down buy an early 10/22 preferably in original condition. if you have that option.
unmolested early 10/22 are getting harder to find. some came with a nice walnut stock

did a trigger job at zero cost is only mod done on my early walnut stock 10/22

taste differ, but modding a 10/22 has never appealed to me. some think nothing of spending $500 on a $200 gun with no chance of recovering $$$ invested.

Option one: A gun shop has a real nice one that has a "low" serial number of 35,xxx and was manufactured in 1966 or so. It has a very nice stock with custom checkering. Overall a very nice gun with clean barrel. Asking $209.00 from the gun shop. :

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go for option 1 and leave it alone but that is just me. Sounds like a decent price.

If you want to modify, get a WalMart special. Shoot the dickens out of it then modify as you wish. Don't buy a nice one to modify. I did the modification thing but started with the cheapest one I could find.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote for the use your gift cards, but don't get an upgraded model unless you just have to have it.
I keep them simple with a blued version, in a synthetic stock. added buffer thing, and a scope.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Id say get the old 10-22. They work just as good as a new one but it will have a little history to it even if unknown. I have an old four digit 10-22. There are slight differances here and there in the rifle compaired to new ones. The most notable is the but stock plate is metal and not plastic and the barrel doesnt have that ugly warning on it. It will need a good cleaning as in broke down and you may need to change out the extractor and some of the springs.

The gun shop / pawn shop may work with you on the price. Give it a try.

They are good accurate little shooters. Eather way you wont go wrong. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd buy an el cheapo from Wally and then decide if I wanted to mod it or leave it alone. Or get a Marlin model 60 and just enjoy plinkin' .

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all who replied. Great info and it helped. Seadog, thanks as I will look at the butt plate to see if it is metal or not as I don't remember. We did look up the serial# on the Ruger website but will confirm what you said. So, here is what I am going to do. I'm gonna get the older rifle because I think it is to, bitchin, yes bitchin, to pass up then I will use my BPS gift card to get a new Ruger KMK512 pistol that I have wanted for some time. THe pistol will be put in my GHB and for general plinking and critters. THanks again fellas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom